Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to know about riding 2 up

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 PM
rivermusic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to know about riding 2 up

When I was in my mid to late teens I rode dirt bikes a lot for five years. But dammit, I always wanted a Harley. So I figured what the hell, I'm 58 now and time isn't slowing down. So two months ago I took an msf course and I got a 2013 limited. In those two months I've ridden 5,000 miles and I'm loving it and feeling good about my riding.
I'd like my wife to hop on the bike with me, but she's reluctant. What can I do to build her confidence to ride with me and what can I do to make myself a proficient 2 up driver?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 PM
BcruZin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Practice with the perfect biker chick first, I think their is a thread on the forums describing her.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:16 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

she has to relax and trust you , then wait for you to tell her what to do like when to get on and off so you are ready then just sit back and relax and don't move around to much or fast , she can really move the bike around a lot , and keep her feet back or she can trip you up when you put your feet down [ that's my wife's problem ] have fun

Old 09-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That's right ! Ride a experianced biker chic arround a bit before ridding some one not used to bikes.
Billy

Old 09-01-2013, 03:18 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Only advice I can share is when coming to a stop, keep the front wheel straight, keep your head up and looking straight ahead, and use only the rear brake prior to coming to a complete stop. Other then that, make sure your passenger know not to move around while the bike is in motion and to always ask, is it OK to get off now....so you are ready to steady the bike...

Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

She must always listen for you to say when to mount and dismount and make sure if she is gonna move to adjust her footing or anything, she gives you a heads up. Every movement she makes will drastically affect the bike.
Aside from that, have her put her weight up against the tourpak and let her weight become part of the bike. Tell her she doesnt need to do any leaning. Just keep against that cushy backrest and all will be fine.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:37 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tell anyone riding with me, "Don't try and lean when I turn, just look the way I am turning."

Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Slow manuvering is a bit more difficult, increased breaking time, no passenger moving around while slow manuvering or in a turn. Permision to dismount and mount. I personally do it with the kickstand down.

other then that...it's the same as solo

Old 09-01-2013, 03:46 PM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
she has to relax and trust you , then wait for you to tell her what to do like when to get on and off so you are ready then just sit back and relax and don't move around to much or fast , she can really move the bike around a lot , and keep her feet back or she can trip you up when you put your feet down [ that's my wife's problem ] have fun

Old 09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my only rules for my wife;

1. Don't get on or off without verbal ok from me.
2. Don't move around at low speeds or when stopped.

Rules for me;

1. Leave more space between my bike and other vehicles due to increased stopping distance riding two up.
2. use same low speed skills/tactics as when riding solo.

A little practice will make you both more comfortable.

Quick Reply: What do I need to know about riding 2 up