Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans shifts hard should i be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Trans shifts hard should i be concerned?

Hello, I have noticed that my bike (2013 Limited) is shifting a little harder than usual. I recently adjusted the clutch and did everything by the service manual. I turned the adjuster screw almost 1 full turn out (I like my engagement point close to the grip) and adjusted proper amount of free play at the lever. I have noticed when shifting through all the gears and downshifting there is a clunk like when you first change into first from neutral. I can find neutral very easy and there is no lurching with the clutch lever pulled in while in gear. I just want to make sure I am not doing any damage. I am running the Spectro 6 speed trans fluid.

Thanks very much!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

have a look at the clutch again.

you first adjust the clutch to spec so that it cleanly engages and disengages in operation

you then use the cable adjuster to fiddle with the cable play and can also affect the lever pull

often hard shifting is a indicator of clutch or primary chain mal-adjustment.

the ez pull clutch mechanism used since 2007, does not allow as much latitude in lever pull adjustment as earlier models if that is what you are used to... the easier pull is due to a longer lever pull

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-01-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, I will look at the clutch again but if I re adjust it I would do everything the same since I went step by step in the manual. As I said above the same clunk when shifting from neutral to first is heard when shifting through all the gears. It seems to be worse when downshifting.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Thanks, I will look at the clutch again but if I re adjust it I would do everything the same since I went step by step in the manual. As I said above the same clunk when shifting from neutral to first is heard when shifting through all the gears. It seems to be worse when downshifting.

Thanks
Mine 2012 rkc has always had a very pronounced clunk when shifting from neutral to first. When cold it's even more pronounced and the bike lurches. I figured it is normal. My readjust of the clutch did nothing to change that behavior.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

You report neutral is easy to get, that suggests a properly adjusted clutch. The clunk going into gear from neutral could suggest a slight dragging clutch HOWEVER it is a characteristic of a wet clutch to have some viscous drive even when the plates are separated. If you are going inside the derby cover one more time, how do you feel for the contact point when adjusting the hub screw? Several times I felt for the resistance point using finger pressure on a socket drive allen wrench. What I felt, rather than the contact point, was a rough spot in the threads, not the real contact point. I now turn the screw in and out several times using a wrench handle to smooth any burrs in the threads, then feel for the contact point by hand and then set the adjustment. I also found that my intuitive lock nut torque was well beyond the book value. I now tighten the lock nut with a torque wrench. Even with a properly adjusted clutch, the only time I don't get the clunk going into first from neutral is on the first start of the day if I pull in the clutch lever prior to start and hold in until ready to move. The cool lube in the transmission provides enough drag to keep the driven half of the clutch from spinning and the transmission drops into gear silently. The rest of the day, even following the same procedure, I get the clunk, that seems to be the nature of the beast. You are already using one of the 2 most highly recommended transmission lubes, so that isn't the problem.

Last edited by btsom; 09-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Hello, I have noticed that my bike (2013 Limited) is shifting a little harder than usual. I recently adjusted the clutch and did everything by the service manual. I turned the adjuster screw almost 1 full turn out (I like my engagement point close to the grip) and adjusted proper amount of free play at the lever. I have noticed when shifting through all the gears and downshifting there is a clunk like when you first change into first from neutral. I can find neutral very easy and there is no lurching with the clutch lever pulled in while in gear. I just want to make sure I am not doing any damage. I am running the Spectro 6 speed trans fluid.

Thanks very much!
I haven't read the entire thread, but dump the trans. oil and put in some synthetis gear oil of your kiking. I have used Mobile 1 75-140 syn. gear and are currently using Amsoil 74-140 severe gear and the trans. is very quiet and smooth. I am convinced the oil is the reason for the many bearing failures in the 6 speed trans. Noise is wear occurring, no noise no wear.

Mark

Old 09-01-2013, 01:33 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by btsom
You report neutral is easy to get, that suggests a properly adjusted clutch. The clunk going into gear from neutral could suggest a slight dragging clutch HOWEVER it is a characteristic of a wet clutch to have some viscous drive even when the plates are separated. If you are going inside the derby cover one more time, how do you feel for the contact point when adjusting the hub screw? Several times I felt for the resistance point using finger pressure on a socket drive allen wrench. What I felt, rather than the contact point, was a rough spot in the threads, not the real contact point. I now turn the screw in and out several times using a wrench handle to smooth any burrs in the threads, then feel for the contact point by hand and then set the adjustment. I also found that my intuitive lock nut torque was well beyond the book value. I now tighten the lock nut with a torque wrench. Even with a properly adjusted clutch, the only time I don't get the clunk going into first from neutral is on the first start of the day if I pull in the clutch lever prior to start and hold in until ready to move. The cool lube in the transmission provides enough drag to keep the driven half of the clutch from spinning and the transmission drops into gear silently. The rest of the day, even following the same procedure, I get the clunk, that seems to be the nature of the beast. You are already using one of the 2 most highly recommended transmission lubes, so that isn't the problem.

Thanks, I had to turn the adjustment screw in a few times with a wrench also because I was running out of threads on the lever adjustment shaft. I turned the adjustment screw in a good bit a few times, then set the adjustment by hand and it seemed to solve the issue.

Are you saying I may have to much primary fluid in the bike?
I am going to start over with the clutch adjustment. I love where it releases with 1 full turn out but I think I will set it at 3/4 turns.

Thanks a lot!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

That's the same problem I had with the spectro and changed it out for something else. Don't ask me why an oil that's supposed to be made for a 6 speed transmission makes it do that, but I wasted $25 shipped for all that racket. Live and learn.....

Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TUCCI
That's the same problem I had with the spectro and changed it out for something else. Don't ask me why an oil that's supposed to be made for a 6 speed transmission makes it do that, but I wasted $25 shipped for all that racket. Live and learn.....
What did you change to?

I'm gonna try the clutch once more and if that doesn't fix the problem I guess the fluid is the only other option.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using Mobile-1 75w140 shifts nice

Quick Reply: Trans shifts hard should i be concerned?