Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,665 Likes on 2,759 Posts
Default Throttle Issue??

Anybody have this happen to them ever. Went to get on the on ramp this AM, got up to about 45mph and my bike just died like you let off the throttle. 09 Fly By Wire... Check engine light came on, bike was still running.. idling like there was nothing wrong with the engine... Twisted the throttle and nothing. I could put it in first gear and twist the throttle and get about 10mph.. Enough to limp home.

Got home shut it off... Went to get my truck and realized I needed to move the bike to get my truck, so I started the bike back up, the check engine light went off and the Throttle was working again...

Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

1.) disconnect the plug on the throttle body at 7 o'clock.

clean the contacts* (some also use dielectric grease), reapply the plug. ( often just the act of unplugging/plugging in will clean contacts)

2.) cycle the ignition switch with RIGHT hand
on..wait until fuel pump stops, turn off

repeat 4 times

that resets the "0" position of the throttle position sensor to the ECM

mike

*I use a nic sander from auto parts store- it is a fiberglass "pen" which cleans the contacts...electronics stores sell similar under different name.

spray contact cleaners can be used, but not all are SAFE for plastics...read the label

I do not use dielectric grease- as well as it keeps moiture out- it can also trap moisture in...

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-30-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

mkguitar... thanks...! I will give this a try and see if I continue to have any issues. i started my bike just a bit ago at lunch and again the throttle worked, but the check engine light did come on for about 30 seconds and then shut off...

I got stuck in a pretty good storm on my last trip. My neutral light indicator was on all the time and now that isn't on anymore either. Wonder if something got good and wet?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 PM
woodmaniac
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Issue

I have had a similar issue. Started a few months ago with an occasional cough and sometimes a quick rev, then the check engine light. I always had throttle. I decided to clean the contacts on the throttle control and stuffed it good with grease. Worked great for a couple weeks. Rode to work last week and when I was ready to leave, no throttle, check engine light and ABS and cruise light flashing. I checked what I could in the parking lot to no avail so left it at work and got a ride home. Next day I drove my truck with all intentions of hauling it to the dealer. Started it up to drive around the lot for a good place to load and throttle was normal. No lights. Rode it to the dealer instead and they said they had to replace some bad contacts on the throttle control connection. Said the factory strectches the wires too tight and causes failure.
$12 parts...$160 labor

Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 PM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had same thing last summer. Dealer replaced the twist grip sensor under warranty. TGS is essentially the rheostat that tells the ECU how much power/fuel you are requesting.

Should be a recall. If you're pulling out into traffic and the thing craps out you're toast. This is a safety issue.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Ya, I had my bike scheduled for the 25K maintenance tomorrow AM. I called to talk to one of the techs and explained my issue. Asked him about cleaning those contacts. He said ya, that would be a temp fix if I wanted to do that, but it is a pretty common problem and the new parts they put on eliminate that connector and is hard wired. I opted to get it all replaced... I don't want to be out on a tour somewhere and get stranded by taking a chance? Just my preference. It was just over $200 for the replacement and labor. They came to pick up my bike for free today instead and will have it all done for me tomorrow AM. Good thing it didn't happen last week, I was gone for 4 days on the bike... That would have sucked...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by aviaator
I had same thing last summer. Dealer replaced the twist grip sensor under warranty. TGS is essentially the rheostat that tells the ECU how much power/fuel you are requesting.

Should be a recall. If you're pulling out into traffic and the thing craps out you're toast. This is a safety issue.
They didn't say anything about a recall, they did say it was a "common" issue. Bike is an 09 and out of warranty also...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

if you get a chance, I'd like to see a pic of this hard wired fix.

in that there are/will be a number of connectors between the throttle grip and the servo- not just the one.

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
if you get a chance, I'd like to see a pic of this hard wired fix.

in that there are/will be a number of connectors between the throttle grip and the servo- not just the one.

Thanks, Mike
I will ask them to show me what was replaced... I asked them if the new part was a new design due to issues Harley was having.. They said yep... So I'll ask them to show me what they replaced and ask for my old part...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 PM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
They didn't say anything about a recall, they did say it was a "common" issue. Bike is an 09 and out of warranty also...
It's not a recall. I'm saying it SHOULD be since it's safety-related.

Quick Reply: Throttle Issue??