Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Perfect Cell Phone Holder!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is interesting to see the opinions on the use of cell phones while riding or driving a vehicle. Special needs children, wife emergencies, GPS, music, it runs the gamut of reasons to have and use them. I really don't care what the reason is for having the need, they are a distraction, period. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Using anything that distracts you, even for a second could cost you your life and probably someone elses.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Some of us get our enjoyment from the ride and it is a way to unplug from things for a while. I am one who does not want to listen to music, see my GPS while I am riding or my phone. I have maps and a GPS but my sick simple mind prefers to look at a map and figure it out as I go, I use the GPS if and when I doubt where I am and it a comfort to power it up and learn exactly where I am and then use my map !! I make sure I have a full tank and so far I have always made it to my destiation.

Some of us like the gadgets and music to make our ride enjoyable to us, we may have tunes that are enhanced by the ride and help us to unplug from life for a while.

I think the mount is clever.

I use a GPS in my car and see the merit on the bike especially if big city rides are on the menu but I mostly ride rural areas and only pass through cities on occasion.

Whatever you chose have fun !! Ride safe!!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 AM
42gunner
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
I CARE. I drive a truck,and every day I see at least a couple jerkoffs[male and female jerkoffs] trying to cause an accident with their damb cell phones. Put the fuggin' phone away.

Last edited by 42gunner; 10-11-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

People have been using GPS and attached cell phones for years on motorcycles. Death toll did not go dramatically up. In Cars... Yes. That probably has more to do with feeling like they are sitting in a protective living room. Motorcycle riders know we are inches from death at all times so mostly we are a more careful bunch.

Seeing an incoming call or checking status on a GPS is no more distracting than looking down to check your speed, RPM, Gas level, Oil pressure, or looking for idiot lights.

Do you really think the MOCO would put something on a bike that is SO, SO unsafe that they could be sued for it? I dunno. They seem like a protective bunch themselves.

Bottom line, having GPS or Cell phone tech on a motorcycle and actually using it is a choice. Much like helmets. You either do or you don't. You know the costs and you pay whatever price.... it's your choice. To go on and on about how this and that is so dangerous is very much like pointing out the obvious. Everyone goes, "Yeah Mr. Obvious" and you feel so much smarter for saying it. Regardless of the fact that nearly everyone is rolling their eyes at you and thinking, "Sure bet he's fun at a party".

I don't like being that guy. Some do. I'm counting 20 or so on this thread alone.

lp

Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mmf
I do a lot of solo trips and the family likes to stay in touch. Plus we have a special needs child and I need to be available 24/7 no matter what I am doing.
I understand your point to a point/ but if u are a great distance away your help is also that far away. I worked in a special unit and was on call 24/7. The on call money was great but being tied to a phone got old fast. For me, when I ride, I ride to get away from things. I keep the phone in my pocket and would check it ever half hour, usually at a light. If I saw a missed call, I would stop and call back. I told the "important" people my plan and they knew to leave a detailed message. It worked out for 6 years before I retired.

As far as your holder, I would be afraid it would damage the CD player in time and I also don't like it blocking the dash warning lights.

One of my biggest bitches with the 14's are the touch screens, I am very concerned about a rider looking more at that then the road..... but just my 2 cents

Be Safe JIM

Last edited by HDJIM1158; 10-11-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram x mount $44 on eBay......nuff said

Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rootro
My phone goes in the saddlebag where a phone should be when your riding. Remind me again why you need your phone when riding?
Pandora

Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 AM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put the damn thing in your tour-pak til you need it! :P

Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I carry my cell phone in the saddlebag where it belongs

Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by milleda31
I use one of these....
Makes me want to check for messages a lot more often...

Quick Reply: The Perfect Cell Phone Holder!