Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration/Shaking fairing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM
blades11b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/Shaking fairing

Gents
so from about 1,800 RPM to 2,200 RPM i am experiencing quite a bit of vabration in my fairing, the bike has only 12k miles on it. it appears to do it no matter when i am increasing or decreasing in speed or even in neutral on the jiffy stand. Is this normal? I ask because this is my first Harley after coming over from a 1800VTX honda that ran smooth as silk. any info will be appreciated!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You could have broken fairing brackets. Pull the fairing off and check the brackets. There are 2 main brackets, one on either side of the radio. They are the ones most likely to break. Then there are 2 smaller horizontal brackets that run out to the speakers. These are less likely to break and cause a problem.

Last edited by soos; 08-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
blades11b
Intermediate

i am assuming you are refering to the black ones? i inspected them up and down as best i could with all the wires everywhere and noticed no cracks in them or the horizontal ones for the speakers.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blades11b
i am assuming you are refering to the black ones? i inspected them up and down as best i could with all the wires everywhere and noticed no cracks in them or the horizontal ones for the speakers.
Check them again if you still have the fairing off. For the most part they break near the top of the fairing right below the bolts that go into the fairing. Sometimes as in my case it was not very noticeable at first glance.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganDave
Check them again if you still have the fairing off. For the most part they break near the top of the fairing right below the bolts that go into the fairing. Sometimes as in my case it was not very noticeable at first glance.
They usually break at the 90* bend which can be barely noticeable as Dave has pointed out.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Firechaser1141
Tourer

Originally Posted by soos
They usually break at the 90* bend which can be barely noticeable as Dave has pointed out.
purchased my 2007 flhx two years ago and it was doing the same thing took it back to the dealer and it was the brackets. my moneys on them!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 PM
blades11b
Intermediate

So I checked checked and checked again. The brackets are fine. So where does this leave me? I did notice with the front of the fairing off it vibrated alot less. Very weird

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 PM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blades11b
So I checked checked and checked again. The brackets are fine. So where does this leave me? I did notice with the front of the fairing off it vibrated alot less. Very weird
Quadruple check fairing mounts,seriously!!!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Grab the inner with your hands with outer off and twist it. Shake it. It should be obvious where the play comes from. Top of the center black brackets where the bracket 90s to the inner is where they break mine broke at 20k. Many guys sell kits for self repair.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 AM
blades11b
Intermediate

so took it all apart for the 3rd time and checked, no cracks. i do however think i found the problem, If i am correct maybe everyone can confirm, i ran it without the front fairing on and obviously the windshield or fairng pouches and everything seemed fine. there was a little bit of resonance but nothing like before, when putting it back together i noticed the center top ferral for the windshield pulls out of the fairing when i tighten the screw down so im thinking what is happening is that this is in turn not getting sinched down which is allowing the actual windshield to vibrate as well as the pouch making the problem seem much worse than it is. so any way to repair that ferral?

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shaking fairing