Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D Heated Handgrips

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
RanD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-D Heated Handgrips

I recently purchased a set of H-D heated handgrips and was looking for tips on installing them. I enjoy riding in cool weather, and the only thing that seems to get cold sometimes is my hands. Has anybody had experience with installing these grips? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: H-D Heated Handgrips

A real pain!

You will need tocut the left handlebar to get the wiring in the correct place because the heated grips do not go onto the bar as far as stock because of the electronics in the grips.

Mark where the stock grip currently is, remove it and slip on the left heated grip, you will see the difference and will need to cut the left handle bar to get the heated grip up to the stock mark,you need to measure the distance between the two grips and that is the length you cut off the bar,about 3/4". I used a pipe cutter, nice and smooth cut.As mentioned if you don't do this you can not get the wires in the proper notch on the bottom side of the bar and you will cut the wires when you tignten up everything. It's a real bitch trying to solder the wires after they are damaged!

The right side is a snap, don't forget to put a wedge in front brake handle to prevent damaging the brake light switch.

The instructions aren't very good, so you will have to figure out the electrical, you also will need to remove the fairing to pull the wires through and back out the otherside under the tank.

It's guite a job.

Hope this helps.

SteveO

Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

guess I'll stay with the Iso grips

Old 03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
dan boudreau
Cruiser

Not as hard as that,put them on they are well worth the trouble I have now installed a few pair and have never cut any bars.Remove the fairing,seat and side cover over where the fuse panel located read the instructions a few times they are hard to understand but do have all the info.if you have to use the wire extension for routing wire from right to left grip make sure and use some shrink tubing over plug or wit will come apart.Get yourself a tube of white lithium grease and lube wires before pulling through bars makes it a lot easier.If you have purchased grips do not waste time getting them on as they are known to not work 100% of the time and the over the counter warranty is only 3 months. If you have any questions PM back.

Good Luck

Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 99 I did not have to cut the bar. On my 05 I had to cut it to get the wires to line up in the groove under bar because it does not run all the way to the end like some models. It is somewhat easier the second time around.

They get real hot before they cycle, hot..cold..hot..cold. Not even heat, but they are nice in the cold!

SteveO

Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Greb
Advanced

A real pain to install, I got 3 months use out of them before they burned out only using the 3-4 setting. I shot the power and checked the ground. They just burned out. Save your money and buy good gloves. My 2 cents

Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I went through two sets. Get some heated gloves. Much easier to install, heats both sides of your hands and don't fail as much.

lp

Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the last person to give advice on this...[sm=sigh.gif]

Peace,

Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 AM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was installed by the dealer, but I replaced my handlebars twice (did it myself ) it's easier to put back when handlebars are off the bike and start with the right(throttle side) snake the wires through, I used a small screw driver with a dull tip ( or wrap a small amount of tape on tip) in the holes (where the wire holders attach to) to slowly snake it inside the handlebars onto the other side then attach the left side (no glue needed) It was easier after the first time. LOL

Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Nomadic RAM
Intermediate

I just put a set of nostalgic heated hand grips on my '05 Ultra. I thought it would take two hours. It took two days. I knew I was in trouble when the second line of instructions called for removing the gas tank. The hardest part was threading the right grip's wire through the handle bar to the left side. I tried air pressure and a snake as called for in the instructions without luck. I finally was able to thread a 1/4" plastic water pipe through and then tied the right grip's wire to that to pull it through. Tough job, but I like the results. I did not have to cut the handle bar.

Quick Reply: H-D Heated Handgrips