Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 PM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need some advice

So, a buddy and I are leaving Thursday morning to start a 1000 mile Iron Butt from South Carolina to Milwaukee for the Harley 110 Year Festivities. My buddy is an Iron Butt veteran but this is my first and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Anyway, I'll be on my 2012 Electraglide Ultra Limited using the stock seat, full faced helmet and I'm 5' 11"

The advice I'm looking for has to do with the windshield.

I have the 12" stock windshield that I've used on other long rides (not this long though) and general look through unless I sit straight up to look over. I also have an LSR 8" recurve that works really well and I like that I can look over but never used it on a long trip (over a couple hours). I was also toying with the idea of buying a 10" stock windshield from the stealer. I would have to get this tomorrow 'cuz time is gettin' short.

Has anyone done a really long ride with an 8" recurve? Should I stick with the 12" or maybe go with the 10"?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Last edited by BillinSC; 08-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Two bits of advice - you never want to be looking through the windshield. If you hit rain, you will have a hard time seeing through it. Always be looking over it. 2) the day before a big trip is not the best time to be experimenting with a new set up.

All that being said, the 8 inch recurve would be the way I'd go given your options, especially since you have put some miles on with it.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by BillinSC
So, a buddy and I are leaving Thursday morning to start a 1000 mile Iron Butt from South Carolina to Milwaukee for the Harley 110 Year Festivities. My buddy is an Iron Butt veteran but this is my first and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Anyway, I'll be on my 2012 Electraglide Ultra Limited using the stock seat, full faced helmet and I'm 5' 11"

The advice I'm looking for has to do with the windshield.

I have the 12" stock windshield that I've used on other long rides (not this long though) and general look through unless I sit straight up to look over. I also have an LSR 8" recurve that works really well and I like that I can look over but never used it on a long trip (over a couple hours). I was also toying with the idea of buying a 10" stock windshield from the stealer. I would have to get this tomorrow 'cuz time is gettin' short.

Has anyone done a really long ride with an 8" recurve? Should I stick with the 12" or maybe go with the 10"?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM
king249
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 8 in and it done well. I took it off because I prefer the look and ride but it did do its job. Oh and I'm 5'9" and on a road king

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with bike_r_trash. I prefer not to look through a windshield, especially in rain. I like a windshield that I can see over. I usually wear a full-face helmet with the face shield open and sun glasses to protect my eyes. If it starts raining, I lower the shield and look only through the face shield (and hopefully dry sunglasses). If it gets dark enough I stop and take the sunglasses off the proceed with the face shield down.

My technique anyway.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's going to be a long 1000 miles in that full face IMO. I did one on my Heritage, was a blast.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

I disagree with the looking through the windshield, I prefer to have the taller windshield in the rain, either way if you hit any type of heavy rain it's going to be tough to see through shield, glasses or visor. It's all personal preference in the end, I jsut prefer the protection of the taller windshield in rain.

I have a 7" LRS that I like for around town riding but prefer my stock windshield for long trips. The shorter shield causes too much helmet buffeting at highway speeds and I feel like my brain is vibrating in my head.

BTW, I pack my 7" in the saddle bag so I have it at my destination.

Good luck on the ride and that stock seat for 1000 miles.

Last edited by rob0225; 08-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the 8" recurve, throws the wind up and bugs and rain wont cloud your vision.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would go with the tall shield.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Do yourself a favor and change out the stock seat before you go.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Best thing is using the tallest recurve shield you can comfortably look over.

I do no like looking through a shield for two reasons:

1.Looking through raindrops on BOTH your eyewear (or visor) AND a windshield means there are 2 layers of accumulated raindrops to try to see through.

2.When riding in the dark vision is definitely sharper when not looking through a windshield.

Note: Stock seats fine,change leg positions and vary pressure points in the way you're sitting every now and then.Always can pop a few Advil if needed.

Last edited by Slash; 08-27-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some advice