Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Rider Backrest on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013 | 09:59 AM
FenderGuy53
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Adjustable Rider Backrest on Ebay?

I saw these rider backrests (with what appears to be H-D mounting hardware) listed on Ebay, for $147, shipped!

Has anyone purchased one, or know of someone who has? I'm wondering if this is one of those "too good to be true" deals...

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 08-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2013 | 10:07 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

The HD mounts are not painted black...not the ones I've seen anyway.

Compare:

Not to say that ebay backrest may not be better or equal.

the H-D has fore and aft adjustability on the mount, vertical on the backrest post ( by hole selected), and also has a angle adjustment with an allen screw.

if the H-D backrest gets "floppy" the 2 bolts IN the backrest can be adjusted for this

as for pricing, your local classifieds may well show backrest for better than the $147.

Mike

Old 08-27-2013 | 10:40 AM
FenderGuy53
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
The HD mounts are not painted black...not the ones I've seen anyway.
Mike, here's a photo of what you get for $147:

The Seller did respond to say that neither the backrest nor the hardware kit is a licensed H-D product. That said, they both appear to be very nice copies! Of course, we wouldn't know for sure unless we tried it ourselves, find someone who has!

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:15 AM
FenderGuy53
|
Outstanding HDF Member

bump it up!

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:22 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd save my money and get the real (cable) adjustable one. Not the one you're looking at.

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:34 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I recently installed an HD backrest on my Street Glide. After completing a 2400 mile trip I was so glad I did. The backrest helped extend my riding days. I bought the non-adjustable type on eBay for $150 with shipping. The one I bought had vinyl material with perforations that matches my seat exactly.

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:44 AM
FenderGuy53
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geoff
I recently installed an HD backrest on my Street Glide...

... I bought the non-adjustable type on eBay for $150 with shipping. The one I bought had vinyl material with perforations that matches my seat exactly.
To be clear, is your backrest H-D or aftermarket? New or used?

Old 08-28-2013 | 10:03 AM
08EGUltra
Intermediate

yes, bought one, they are universal not harley and are not quick removable, you have to unbolt the backrest from the support piece inorder to take the seat off. The support piece that comes through your seat must be gently pushed through to make sure you dont tear your seat. If you search ebay for vtx back rest the same one shows up and also for Yam and Kaw with slightly differ base plates. Just one of those buyer beware situations that i got beat on, thought i would save a few pennies caue the wife wanted a back rest. I have it in the junk box if you want it send me a PM, i will make you a great deal like 80% off and you pay shipping

Old 08-28-2013 | 10:06 AM
08EGUltra
Intermediate

back rest in the above picture is a HD adjustable the ebay one was for spouse's SG and in a junk box.

Old 08-28-2013 | 10:15 AM
FenderGuy53
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08EGUltra
yes, bought one, they are universal not harley and are not quick removable, you have to unbolt the backrest from the support piece inorder to take the seat off. The support piece that comes through your seat must be gently pushed through to make sure you dont tear your seat. If you search ebay for vtx back rest the same one shows up and also for Yam and Kaw with slightly differ base plates. Just one of those buyer beware situations that i got beat on, thought i would save a few pennies caue the wife wanted a back rest. I have it in the junk box if you want it send me a PM, i will make you a great deal like 80% off and you pay shipping
Hmmm... I was thinking that it might be "too good to be true". Thanks for the "heads up".

Is the H-D backrest on your Ultra the one that flips down with a switch? Does it encroach into the available seating area for the passenger? How easy is it to remove?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Rider Backrest on Ebay?