Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle Street Performance Tuner??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 AM
BOSOXFan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screamin Eagle Street Performance Tuner??

As I am slowley getting everything together to upgrade, I am now looking for a tuner. I was told by someone to get the Screaming Eagle Tuner simply because then no matter where I am, Harley will be able to fix it, and with that being said, Harley will always default to blaming your aftermarket tuner.

What do you all think, pro's and Con's?

This will be my first experience with a tuner. Is it pretty easy to use and get done my self or will i have to pay Harley to take care of it?

As always, thanks

Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 AM
king249
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a screaming eagle tuner on my 05 road king and so far its done its job. If I had it to do over again (and I will in a few years) I would buy the one put out by cobra. Do your research before buying a tuner. They have ones now that automatically adjusts its self to the environment.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 AM
BOSOXFan
Cruiser

I have heard people talk about two different kinds. One you just plug in to update and then disconnect. The ohter stays connected all the time... Are these more or less the same thing?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the Power Vision. If you purchase it from Fuel Moto you will receive lifetime support and maps. I had a SERT on my previous Street Glide and it ran ok, but not great. When I first purchased the PV from Fuel Moto, I noticed an immediate increase in performance. I have since done the top end of the engine with a 107 kit and heads and the bike runs like a champ now. The PV IMO is much more flexible in terms of tuning. The PV can be used to simply flash a tune or can be permanently mounted to the bike. I have mine mounted to the bars and I monitor cylinder head temp, gear, etc. In addition, your original tune is saved to the PV and you can revert to your original tune at any time.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 AM
BOSOXFan
Cruiser

Thanks man, as long as its so easy a cave man can do it! And nice looking bike.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSOXFan
It is that easy. Plug in and load the tune.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSOXFan
It's not all that simple. Most canned maps will work very well. They'll be an improvement over the OEM ones. I hear the Fuel Moto ones are very good. But, if you want your bike to run its best it should really be tuned in real time on a dyno using SEPST, PV, or other suitable tuning system. That's because there are unique manufacturing and accessory variances that can be adjusted for only while the bike is going thru its paces. There are a few "auto tune" like systems that supposedly do that. But I don't think they're quite there yet for motorcycles. So if there's a good dyno tuner nearby check to see what system they recommend.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

the screaming eagle tuners over the years have had a number of initials SERT, SEST, SEPST to name a few. Lately SERT & SEST are used the most. I think every new bike should come stock with a SEST attached. But Never buy a SEST, buy a SERT.
SEST=screaming eagle street tuner
SERT=screaming eagle race tuner
The difference is that the street tuner allows changes to keep with your EPA emissions and is street legal.
The SERT is fully tunable for the track, not street legal, even though dealers tune your street bike with it.(hmmm)
In 2014 HD is no longer selling the software so anyone can download it and check it out without the tuner. http://prosupertuner.harley-davidson...uperTuner.aspx enter 11111111111 for the VCI serial #

Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
beau1981
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was concerned about warranty on my 2013. Does the race tuner void the warranty? Are there more differences? Is there an auto tune? What are pros and cons of either?I prefer to stay Harley on a tuner as well having bought extended warranty. Are these installed or do you just flash a tune?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beau1981
I was concerned about warranty on my 2013. Does the race tuner void the warranty? Are there more differences? Is there an auto tune? What are pros and cons of either?I prefer to stay Harley on a tuner as well having bought extended warranty. Are these installed or do you just flash a tune?
SEPST clearly states that it will maintain your warranty. However, the SEPRT is better. And my local shop said that they would honor the warranty as long as the tune was handled correctly.

The SEPRT does have an auto tune. And, you can do the tuning yourself ( if you feel confident ). My Dyno tune cost about $300.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Street Performance Tuner??