Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Halogen Headlight vs TL7

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Dual Halogen Headlight vs TL7

I'm looking to upgrade the headlight on my Street Glide and was wandering if anyone has any insight on what's a better all around light choice?

The HD Dual Halogen or the TL7. Seen lots of info on here about the good and bad of the TL7 but can't find much info on the Dual Halogen.

Thanks for the inputs.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Birddog1911
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relevant to me as well. I'm picking up a 14 Street Glide, and I want the brightest headlight possible to avoid my neighborhood deer. If I don't have to put passing lights on my bike, I'll be happy.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a TL7 in my '11 Limited, and I'm very happy with it. So much more light that I took the passing lamps off, they weren't adding anything anyway. For the cost vs HD, great bang for the buck. As far as for a '14, I thought they already come with LED lights, don't they?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

These Guys have done some of the better tests and reviews of the LED lights:

http://bogiesreviews.webs.com/Review...ng%20Lamps.pdf

HD, on their site does compare the dual halogen to their LED light.

Some comment that the TL has "hotspots" and shadows within the beam, and that while appearing brighter than the HD/ JW Speaker, the light is less useful.

It is worth reading up before dropping that kinda cash.

some LED lights have a narrow beam, I've noticed a few where the light "dropped out" in the mirror as bikes came up on my left side.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-26-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TMOUT
I put a TL7 in my '11 Limited, and I'm very happy with it. So much more light that I took the passing lamps off, they weren't adding anything anyway. For the cost vs HD, great bang for the buck. As far as for a '14, I thought they already come with LED lights, don't they?
The Street Glide gets the Dual Halogen for 14, the Ultras get the LED light. I have a 12 anyway so I just have the stock single bulb light.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
The Street Glide gets the Dual Halogen for 14, the Ultras get the LED light. I have a 12 anyway so I just have the stock single bulb light.
I think you would like the TL7. Some on here have complained that they work great on straight roads but don't shine far enough ahead in twisties, but I haven't had any issues with mine..............

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TMOUT
I think you would like the TL7. Some on here have complained that they work great on straight roads but don't shine far enough ahead in twisties, but I haven't had any issues with mine..............
I'm kinda leaning that way right now. I don't like how they stick out and I'm even less of a fan of the big ugly trim ring people are putting on to cover up the sticking out issue.

HD has a new Daymaker that looks just like the TL7 but chrome instead of black. As soon as I can check the instructions for the part number of the mounting ring I think I might give the TL7 a try.

I'd still like to hear what people have to say about the Dual Halogen.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craigffb
I'm kinda leaning that way right now. I don't like how they stick out and I'm even less of a fan of the big ugly trim ring people are putting on to cover up the sticking out issue.

HD has a new Daymaker that looks just like the TL7 but chrome instead of black. As soon as I can check the instructions for the part number of the mounting ring I think I might give the TL7 a try.

I'd still like to hear what people have to say about the Dual Halogen.
The Dual Halogen sucks! I think the stock single bulb headlight on the pre '14's perform much better.

I had the TLP7 on my last bike. They were bright with one LED for low and one for high beam. It does have a hot spot that appears like a "V" and the light does disappear from an angle during daylight hours. I also hated the extended trim rings.

I now have the Daymaker Reflector and love it. It uses 3 LED's for low beam and three for high beam for a total of 6. It does not have the hot spot that the TL does and is very visible during daylight hours compared to the TL. Bonus as it does not stick out and you use the stock trim ring. That trim ring is 50 bucks so the difference in cost is less than 100 bucks if you get it from Kutter HD. I got mine shipped for $320.00 a couple of months ago.

Last edited by Roger That; 09-20-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
These Guys have done some of the better tests and reviews of the LED lights:

http://bogiesreviews.webs.com/Review...ng%20Lamps.pdf

HD, on their site does compare the dual halogen to their LED light.

Mike
The link mkguitar refers to is a good read. This is what made up my mind on which light to get.

Last edited by equandt; 09-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:29 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LEDs are much better than halogen lights. I've had 3 bikes with Truck Lites and my Ultra Limited has H-D LEDs. I'm satisfied that LEDs are better.

Quick Reply: Dual Halogen Headlight vs TL7