Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Halogen Headlight vs TL7

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger That
I now have the Daymaker Reflector and love it. ..................... I got mine shipped for $320.00 a couple of months ago.
Where did you get it for that price? $425 on HD site

Old 09-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

I want maximum daytime visibility and solid performance in the dark.

Considered the TL 7 especially because it's on sale this month at NAPA,but it's a no go.LED's for motorcycle applications aren't as good as they need to be for all around use day and night,maybe that will change in a year or two.

This setup's working extremely well:

Headlight: HL79562 Hella 7" Round H4 E-Code Headlamp $40
Sylvania SilverStar H4 55/60 watt bulb $17

Spots: Wagnner 886 50 watt bulbs $7 each

Stock electrical system, no mods.

High beam on during the day is way bright and sweeps out wide to both sides.Great daytime visibility and solid nighttime performance on low beam.

Last edited by Slash; 09-20-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash
I want maximum daytime visibility and solid performance in the dark.

Considered the TL 7 especially because it's on sale this month at NAPA,but it's a no go.LED's for motorcycle applications aren't as good as they need to be for all around use day and night,maybe that will change in a year or two.

This setup's working extremely well:

Headlight: HL79562 Hella 7" Round H4 E-Code Headlamp $40
Sylvania SilverStar H4 55/60 watt bulb $17

Spots: Wagnner 886 50 watt bulbs $7 each

Stock electrical system, no mods.

High beam on during the day is way bright and sweeps out wide to both sides.Great daytime visibility and solid nighttime performance on low beam.

No doubt better than stock but no way better than the p-7.

I used the same Hella only with superior h-4 in it, also my spots were h-3 style which again no comparison to a crappy sealed beam, also upgraded them with better h-3 bulbs.

The p-7 is so far a better light than the halogen in every way except daytime visibility= so what?? spots are for this and hi beams. A friggin train light is not going to save you from dipsticks with their heads up their butts.

The upgraded halogens were way better than stock for sure.

When I first rode my p-7 I was pissed at how little improvement I could see !! It sucked but once I spent a little time with it and got it adjusted it was and is so far superior to any halogen I will never go back to them again.

With the halogen there seems to be a lot more light close and it "fills" the area better so it seems better. Wasted dirty light is what it is, the led is so much more focused and longer reaching. I ride up on other baggers with spots like mine and their light pattern is sucked up by my massive focused and wide spread that their lights disappear.

Unless you actually try them you cannot ever know how vastly superior they really are. I thought my much improved halogens were the cats *** and hesitated to try the LED stuff, how stupid I was. I purposely go for night time rides now.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 PM
bosshog919
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got TL7 on my 12 SG and its way better than stock!!!!! Love the looks!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Where did you get it for that price? $425 on HD site
I got it from Kutter HD on line with the 20% discount. It is currently $332.00 right now. It's a great deal. You have an '04 which I believe is 20 bucks more but wont need the adapter. Daymaker Reflector LED Headlamp-67700173

Here's what I got for my '14....

Daymaker-reflector-led-headlamp-67700189
http://www.kutterharleyonline.com/se...rchsmall_4920=

Can't beat their on line prices!

Last edited by Roger That; 09-20-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:41 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
No doubt better than stock but no way better than the p-7.

I used the same Hella only with superior h-4 in it, also my spots were h-3 style which again no comparison to a crappy sealed beam, also upgraded them with better h-3 bulbs.

The p-7 is so far a better light than the halogen in every way except daytime visibility= so what?? spots are for this and hi beams. A friggin train light is not going to save you from dipsticks with their heads up their butts.

The upgraded halogens were way better than stock for sure.

When I first rode my p-7 I was pissed at how little improvement I could see !! It sucked but once I spent a little time with it and got it adjusted it was and is so far superior to any halogen I will never go back to them again.

With the halogen there seems to be a lot more light close and it "fills" the area better so it seems better. Wasted dirty light is what it is, the led is so much more focused and longer reaching. I ride up on other baggers with spots like mine and their light pattern is sucked up by my massive focused and wide spread that their lights disappear.

Unless you actually try them you cannot ever know how vastly superior they really are. I thought my much improved halogens were the cats *** and hesitated to try the LED stuff, how stupid I was. I purposely go for night time rides now.
Good stuff,thanks for running though your thoughts and experiences.If I read you right,you're running some quality halogens in your spots along with your p-7 headlight.That was my original plan,apply the best qualities of both. Let the Halogen spots get me seen well from all angles during the day and let the p-7 rule the night....That's a good combo.

For now,my all halogen set up's performing well,but got my eyes open.There will most likely be a lot of improvements and more motorcycle specific LED Headlight options available in the near future,I'll be considering the latest and the greatest as they appear.

The Hella's will fit in my Jeep if they ever need a new home.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:05 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

The dual bulb ain't that bad. Replace the bulbs with Osram Night Breakers. For even more light, hook up Bosch relay w/ 14 ga. wire and a ceramic plug(s).

Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 AM
nopetrol
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the dual beam in my current Roadking. I had a P6 in my previous Fatboy. I miss the benefits of the LED lamp, but, my last road trip with the Fatboy gave me second thoughts. I was in the middle of nowhere, rural area, pretty far from anything when the thought jumped into my head: 'If this LED light were to fail right now, I'm screwed. Nobody has one of these on the shelf, and even if I wanted to put a halogen back in to get down the road, I don't have the halogen guts with me.'.

Until LED are common place enough that a regular parts store or even a Wally will have them on the shelf, I'll run the dual beam with upgrades. I'm always looking for ways to make it better, without modifying it beyond road side fix.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nopetrol
I run the dual beam in my current Roadking. I had a P6 in my previous Fatboy. I miss the benefits of the LED lamp, but, my last road trip with the Fatboy gave me second thoughts. I was in the middle of nowhere, rural area, pretty far from anything when the thought jumped into my head: 'If this LED light were to fail right now, I'm screwed. Nobody has one of these on the shelf, and even if I wanted to put a halogen back in to get down the road, I don't have the halogen guts with me.'.

Until LED are common place enough that a regular parts store or even a Wally will have them on the shelf, I'll run the dual beam with upgrades. I'm always looking for ways to make it better, without modifying it beyond road side fix.

Really ?? Your bike has a whole bunch of parts not commonly available at a regular parts store !! Tires, belts, electronic modules, brake pads..........

Better not ride anymore at all.

7" sealed beam headlight assemblies are pretty common and available just about anywhere.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Slash
Good stuff,thanks for running though your thoughts and experiences.If I read you right,you're running some quality halogens in your spots along with your p-7 headlight.That was my original plan,apply the best qualities of both. Let the Halogen spots get me seen well from all angles during the day and let the p-7 rule the night....That's a good combo.

For now,my all halogen set up's performing well,but got my eyes open.There will most likely be a lot of improvements and more motorcycle specific LED Headlight options available in the near future,I'll be considering the latest and the greatest as they appear.

The Hella's will fit in my Jeep if they ever need a new home.
Slash,
I felt the same about my halogen set up, it was so much better than what came factory and with the Hella or Bosch reflector the light was so much more useful.
I never saw a LED in use or had the opportunity to compare in person but did a bit of study and also the Bogies review really shed some light on the subject. Not too long after the p-7 came out I got one.

The lights will no doubt continue to improve but the difference between the well set up halogen main beam and the p-7 is pretty huge and I have zero interest in ever going halogen again.

If you try it you will like it.

I do currently have halogens in the passing lamps and with the upgrades to lamp housings and bulbs they perform so much better. I really like them for being seen in daylight and find on the open road the main beam is all I need.

Quick Reply: Dual Halogen Headlight vs TL7