Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogtunes or J&M Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
tullious
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '03 Ultra that I bought used in '06. The system is 8ohm so I'm limited with choices.

In '08 I bought J&M speakers 'cause I did not like the sound quality of my existing. Never opened up the fairing before I swapped them out for the J&M. Low and behold, the speakers were Hogtunes!

I swapped them out for the J&M 8ohm type front and rear. Much cleaner sound at higher volumes.

Recently I bought a pair of J&M 7.25" fronts. The speakers went in okay but inadvertantly clipped a wire and caused an intermittant short. Fixed it and they sound great.

Will use them a while and write back.

If you get the 7.25" speakers, please be careful to keep the very tiny mid and tweeter leads in their slots on the fron grilles before assembly. I emailed John at J&M about this and suggested that a little glue be added to keep the leads in place. He responded in about 12 hours and said he would look in the matter. I did not ask for a repalcement so we'll see if the problem arises.

Decent soundthan using the 5.25" J&M speakers. The bass is better but still not great but considering the hogtunes and J&M 5.25's they do sound much. much better.

I guess if I keep the bike a couple of years longer, I think i'll buy a marine radio with the handlebar controls, a marine 4-channel amp and do up some normal mid-end 4ohm car component speakers with "crossovers" and better bass. Maybe even place a sub in the travel pack. Who knows...

Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the bike specific stuff is over priced. Go get an ARC mini 125.2 amp and a set of 6.5" polk components. They're marine grade and sound great for the price. Put the tweaters in the guage holes. or spend a little more and get some Hertz.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

had both hogtunes hands down over J&M

Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
ltdan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, a 4 year old thread!

I had both also, liked the J&M better. Had a problem with Hogtunes amp, got great customer service when I was buying it, none when it was not working right.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

J&M showed up at the Texas Lonestar Rally. Looked at the Rokker 7 1/4 " speakers in the fairin and lowers and the 5 1/4 in the rear.
They played them on two bikes. Man they sound good and they will play real loud and hold the sound without distorting.
Was told they have a lifetime warranty on the speakers.
Got a buddy with the 71/4 before they released the Rokkers, his just don't sound like the Rokkers, the Bass in the rokkers are a little better.

Glad I went to the lOnestar rally. Learned a lot

Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

cardboard ,,,,

thank you for the good words and thank you for coming by the J&M audio demo trailer at the Lone Star rally in Galveston ,,,,,

let us know anytime that we can be of service to you ,,,,

Old 11-06-2011, 02:05 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
cardboard ,,,,

thank you for the good words and thank you for coming by the J&M audio demo trailer at the Lone Star rally in Galveston ,,,,,

let us know anytime that we can be of service to you ,,,,

Thank you for comin to the Lonestar Rally. Would not of had the opportunity to see your products like I did if you didn't come.

And Thank YOu John for takin all the time to answer my questions, You are the man that helped me.
And for answering my question about bluetooth my Zumo 550 and stereo and bluetooth headset all workin together.
I was impressed by the sound from the bikes you had on display. And glad I got a catalog.

Brought a buddy of mine back to your trailer.