Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with RK turn signal bar w/plate LED

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:54 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Need Help with RK turn signal bar w/plate LED

I have a 2010 Road King Police which came with the black radio box rack,. The license plate lamp is in the top of the tail light lens and the plate is mounted to the rack. I am replacing this today with 4-point docking hardware and relocating the plate below the tail light. I purchased used a HD turn signal light bar that has an LED license plate lamp in the middle.

I have everything figured out except - where does the connector for the LED plate lamp plug in to? There are no available spot inside the tail light assembly. See the pics below. Where does the middle connector plug in?

Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

If you have a fender tip light, marry the wires to those- or splice in ( I was able to marry into my connectors)

if you don't have a fender tip light, you can use those pins- there are 3; blk is ground, blue is run, red is brake

you want power from a run light circuit

get someone to hold the signal bar level for you when you tighten the bolts

Mike

Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you have the Kuryakyn LED turn signals. Are you using the brake light too?

If so, there is a connector attached to the tail lamp that, IIRC, has a blue, red and black wires. Cut the connector off. Two of those wires are constant 12v. Cant remember the two, but you can use that to power the license plate lamp.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
If you have a fender tip light, marry the wires to those- or splice in ( I was able to marry into my connectors)

if you don't have a fender tip light, you can use those pins- there are 3; blk is ground, blue is run, red is brake

Mike
Yes, that seems to be what is going on. Both the LED license plate and the fender tip light want to use the same connector. Looks like some splicing is in order. Thanks, Mike!

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Looks like you have the Kuryakyn LED turn signals. Are you using the brake light too?

If so, there is a connector attached to the tail lamp that, IIRC, has a blue, red and black wires. Cut the connector off. Two of those wires are constant 12v. Cant remember the two, but you can use that to power the license plate lamp.
Yes, I do have the Kuryakyn LED brake light. It does have another pigtail in there that I couldn't figure out what was for. I bought this stuff all used so I don't have any literature. Thanks for the tip on the pigtail!

I can get either the Custom Dynamics fender tip brake/tail light to work OR the LED license plate lamp. So I'll figure out what is the best way to splice these and get it straightened out another day. It sure would be convenient if somebody made a plug and play pigtail for this.

Thanks!

Last edited by LeadSSled; 08-25-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling