Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New front tire loosing pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013 | 01:51 PM
blackflame
|
Road Captain
Default New front tire loosing pressure.

My new tires seem to be loosing air pressure in them? I would hate to have to take them off and have them checked. Anything I could add to the tires to help seal them?

Old 08-25-2013 | 01:58 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

First, I'd want to see if I could find the source of the leak and fix it first, instead of putting a band-aid on it.

But if a band-aid is the only way to stop it, there is a product out there call (I think) Ride On. Supposed to be the best. And from what I hear, it won't **** off the next tire guy that has to change out tires for you.

Old 08-25-2013 | 02:09 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

Air the tires up...

Then run water over them. Slowly. Check the seal on the bead at the rim, and the valve stem. Check the shraeder valve, and where the valve mounts to the rim. If there are leaks, you should see bubbles where the water runs over them. You can also use a light soapy mixture and wipe it on with a cloth. Sometimes the soapy water will show the bubbles better, sometimes it may confuse you...

When you run tires low for long periods, (not just low, but leaking down and air back up again often), dirt and grime can be introduced between the tire and rim. This can become a big problem with getting the tire bead to seal. The only way I know to fix this, is to remove the tire and wire brush the rim where the tire bead seats to it...

If there is a leak around the valve stem, I would replace it. If the shraeder valve is leaking, that is an easy replacement...

If you don't find a leak there, run the water over the sidewalls and tread area(s). If you find a leak here, then you need to know what caused it. Plugging is an option for some. Most don't care to and replace the tire. I'll keep my opinion on that silent, for the time being...

Having the bike up on a lift, that allows you to rotate the wheels may be helpful...

Last edited by Def Mute; 08-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2013 | 02:20 PM
blackflame
|
Road Captain

Yeah I have to get the soapy water bottle out and go from there.

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:18 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

if the aluminum wheels are older the bead doesn't always seat against oxidation.

Old 08-26-2013 | 03:38 PM
blackflame
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Air the tires up...

Then run water over them. Slowly. Check the seal on the bead at the rim, and the valve stem. Check the shraeder valve, and where the valve mounts to the rim. If there are leaks, you should see bubbles where the water runs over them. You can also use a light soapy mixture and wipe it on with a cloth. Sometimes the soapy water will show the bubbles better, sometimes it may confuse you...

When you run tires low for long periods, (not just low, but leaking down and air back up again often), dirt and grime can be introduced between the tire and rim. This can become a big problem with getting the tire bead to seal. The only way I know to fix this, is to remove the tire and wire brush the rim where the tire bead seats to it...

If there is a leak around the valve stem, I would replace it. If the shraeder valve is leaking, that is an easy replacement...

If you don't find a leak there, run the water over the sidewalls and tread area(s). If you find a leak here, then you need to know what caused it. Plugging is an option for some. Most don't care to and replace the tire. I'll keep my opinion on that silent, for the time being...

Having the bike up on a lift, that allows you to rotate the wheels may be helpful...
I didn't notice any leaks on the front tire or valve, but the back is showing bubbles from the "shraeder" valve. Do you know what size I need to replace it with, long short etc.??

Old 08-26-2013 | 03:44 PM
WolfDog
Road Master

Get a Schrader tool and tighten those valves up.

I've had brand new ones loose as a goose..

That's probably where your leak is...

Old 08-26-2013 | 03:53 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default A Quick FYI

I ALWAYS replace the tire valves when replacing the tires. The work is already done and it's cheap insurance against valve failure

Old 08-26-2013 | 05:04 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by blackflame
I didn't notice any leaks on the front tire or valve, but the back is showing bubbles from the "shraeder" valve. Do you know what size I need to replace it with, long short etc.??
There is only one type of valve, used on all cars bikes and many other applications. Any auto store will have them. Schrader is the name of the chap who invented them.

Old 08-26-2013 | 06:00 PM
J.Ryan
Novice

On one new set I got on a different bike, the guy who mounted them got one of those little rubber **** on the sidewall caught in the bead. I finally had to put it on a lift to inspect it well enough to find it. I couldn't believe that it actually was leaking around that tiny thing but I deflated the tire enough to get it out and it never leaked again.

Quick Reply: New front tire loosing pressure.