Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013 | 08:20 PM
Harleybike
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by senna
I have a 21 on mine. I am going to go against the 21 handles fine at stock height theory.

When I first put on the 21 I could not stand the fall over effect effect, When you raise the axle height by 1 1/2" it changes the geometry plain and simple.

By lowering the front end 2" I've got the handling pretty good now but the ride, not so much. I am going to try and raise it up 1/2" to 3/4" hope to improve the ride and not hurt the handling much.

My riding style is curves, I don't judge the handling by strait line speed. It has to handle in the turns. a 21" wheel requires a lot more input to control turn in and out of the curves. I am really getting used to it now and am really attacking the corners pretty good.

If I had the make a decision right now as to what wheel I could have for the the rest of the time I owned my bike, I would take the 21" off and go back to a 18" or maybe 19"

JMHO
Thanks, I'm not trying to go thru all that, lift, lower etc...I am pretty aggressive in the corners also and don't wanna lose handling and change much geometry. I can deal with be a bit heavier at low speeds but not so much giving up handling and ride.

Old 08-28-2013 | 07:56 AM
Harleybike
|
Tourer

Anymore with 21's that have input? Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:14 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

The problem with asking people you don;t know this question is you don;t know how they ride, where they ride, or what they consider a change in handling. If you ride straight roads loaded down with a passenger all day longer your opinion will probably vary from that of someone who rides canyon's and enjoys cornering at high rates of speed. It is a very subjective question. I do my best to educate people with the facts but in teh end the decision is ultimately yours.

If you want to spend the money on a wheel and want it to stand out and really make your bike look great my opinion is a 21" is the simplest way to do this. Consider for a minute that on a bagger with dual disc that the rotors cover much of both sides of teh wheels unless you go to a single disc conversion (which I do all the time) and ask yourself if the wheel is worth the money. To many it is but an 18" wheel is obscured from view mostly by the rotors. With a 21" you have a lot more wheel to see and it stands out much better as well.

Obviously this is a personal choice but if I am shelling out the cash for a rim I want it to stand out. I never concern myself with "facts" from others on teh internet. All that does much of the time is make me second guess my decision. This reminds me of people who ask what height bars to get. Some guy tells me 20"a apes are comfortable for him. I know for a fact that they will not be comfortable for me.

Subjective. Subjective. Subjective. Whatever you choose may it be the right decision for you.

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

On the subject of front wheel size I think there is a compromise to be struck. Would I install a 21" one and then set off to cross the Continent, 2-up and loaded with luggage, close on the factory GVWR? Emphatically no!

Harleybike, I suggest you work out what use you want to make of your bike, which can help decide what size wheel is likely to be suitable. If you only ride solo your options are wider IMHO than if you mostly ride 2-up and are both heavy!

It would also help us to know how much of your money we can spend.....

Old 08-28-2013 | 11:08 AM
Harleybike
|
Tourer

Thanks Hogpro, I hear ya, completely understand the subjective aspect of this. I'll digest the info and figure it out.

Old 08-28-2013 | 11:13 AM
Harleybike
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
On the subject of front wheel size I think there is a compromise to be struck. Would I install a 21" one and then set off to cross the Continent, 2-up and loaded with luggage, close on the factory GVWR? Emphatically no!

Harleybike, I suggest you work out what use you want to make of your bike, which can help decide what size wheel is likely to be suitable. If you only ride solo your options are wider IMHO than if you mostly ride 2-up and are both heavy!

It would also help us to know how much of your money we can spend.....
ROFLMAO Bro...

I have had the bike for 2 years, I'm 205 and do not have a passenger most of the time. Any passenger would be 130-150 range. Solo local riding for most of those 2 years, even if highway it has been local. No long distance riding (as of yet and nothing in the near future planned) I'm not the long haul cross country rider (so far) that a lot of you all are. I'm not trying to "show" the bike, but I like chrome and I like some of the wheels out there. You all can spend 12-1400 ish. No rear wheel at this time. This is not a priority but a wish list that I am getting closer to purchasing. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013 | 11:50 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

I had a 21 on my '99 RG. It looked good and the stretched bags hit down at stock height before there was any handling issue. I am also 220 and ride a lot of twisy stuff solo at a good pace. Had to get rid of that bike because the bags kept me from enjoying them. The 21 was fine at stock height.

Painted the rear stock wheel black be it still looked stupid.

Old 08-28-2013 | 12:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by Harleybike
ROFLMAO Bro...

I have had the bike for 2 years, I'm 205 and do not have a passenger most of the time. Any passenger would be 130-150 range. Solo local riding for most of those 2 years, even if highway it has been local. No long distance riding (as of yet and nothing in the near future planned) I'm not the long haul cross country rider (so far) that a lot of you all are. I'm not trying to "show" the bike, but I like chrome and I like some of the wheels out there. You all can spend 12-1400 ish. No rear wheel at this time. This is not a priority but a wish list that I am getting closer to purchasing. Thanks.
Sounds as if a 21" would be fine, so now we can all go shoppin'.......

Old 08-30-2013 | 09:33 AM
Harleybike
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I had a 21 on my '99 RG. It looked good and the stretched bags hit down at stock height before there was any handling issue. I am also 220 and ride a lot of twisy stuff solo at a good pace. Had to get rid of that bike because the bags kept me from enjoying them. The 21 was fine at stock height.

Painted the rear stock wheel black be it still looked stupid.
Awesome , thanks.

Old 08-30-2013 | 09:35 AM
Harleybike
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Sounds as if a 21" would be fine, so now we can all go shoppin'.......
ROFLMAO....Again. Ok, bring it. Sho me the wheels....Hehe. I have a couple I am looking at, I like the forward sweeping 6 spoke...Aggressive looking. Named differently on a couple diff sites.