Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 ultra vs. ultra limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Hedgehog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 ultra vs. ultra limited

My friend and I have been waiting until the 2014 launch to purchase a pair of ultra limiteds. Now with the new bikes out, we are second guessing our selves and leaning more towards the regular air cooled ultra primarily because it has the proven 103 and its almost $3000 cheaper. With the ultra, you still do get a lot of the new features that I like. I enjoy reliability and I don't know if I would be nervous about braking down on the rode with the new cooling system. We are buying these bikes for the long haul and don't want to make the wrong decision.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering the wording of your post, I'd go with the air cooled 103. The potential is real that this water cooled engine 'could' be an utter nightmare. If you must own a 2014, my suggestion, as you already pointed out, is to stick with what's tried and true.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, look at it like this, if it the cooling system breaks down( springs a leak) then it will become just an air cooled ultra like the rest of em, win win, lol... just sayin.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
Well, look at it like this, if it the cooling system breaks down( springs a leak) then it will become just an air cooled ultra like the rest of em, win win, lol... just sayin.
good point......but doesn't it have a warranty like the others....just saying if something goes wrong, take it back and get it fixed.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
I wouldn't assume that. With a passage in the head for coolant to pass through, air cooling will not be very efficient due to poor heat transfer caused by the air pocket where the coolant is supposed to be (assuming a loss of coolant in the system)

Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I will offer an example.

Cadillac made a car called the catera several years back. It was a complete and utter pile of ****. Few of these cars lasted 100k miles. A pretty normal longevity expectation these days.

Cadillac did not extend the warranty to help owners. They didn't offer trade assistance to help people stuck with these cars. When the warranty ran out, it was yours to fix.

I say that to point out that if these water head engines are total failures (and they may not be) it is unlikely that harley will do anything to accommodate owners that jumped on this new technology. Yep, warranty is expired and you could be left holding the (empty) bag.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
...The potential is real that this water cooled engine 'could' be an utter nightmare...
What makes you say that? This looks like the simplest implementation of liquid cooling yet.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Hell I'm still trying to figure what's so good about the 103 with water cooled exhaust valves? If I'm reading the specs right it makes just .8 more pounds of torque but at 500 rpm higher. They all incorporate the new compensator and other improvements don't they?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Hell I'm still trying to figure what's so good about the 103 with water cooled exhaust valves? If I'm reading the specs right it makes just .8 more pounds of torque but at 500 rpm higher. They all incorporate the new compensator and other improvements don't they?
I don't get it either, minimum gains with new parts to break

Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

But, you get "tootsie" warmers. Radiators in the lowers should feel good when you are riding in 40 degree temps.

Bwana

Quick Reply: 2014 ultra vs. ultra limited