Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 ultra vs. ultra limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by dnespolo
I just don't understand what is the worry about the water cooling, it is just some liquid going trough the top end engine to control the temp. What can go wrong with it, the liquid pump, the radiator? It is a simple system. I'm pretty sure you can gain a lot more power out of it with little mods.
BMW came out with the same thing on their GS1200 and nobody is worry of any parts failure.
We are in 2013 any manufacturing should be able to come out with these kind of technology with any problem at all.
I understand that some folks rather to keep air cooler just because MoCo it what it always been about but i wouldn't worry to buy any liquid cooler bike from them.
Look at the world of auto recalls. Many are from manufacturers who have been building cars for over 100 years now. With that kind of experience, how could they be so stupid as to route a fuel line or brake line where it will chafe through or under design a ball joint or steering part? I ask all the time, "Where is the corporate wisdom" when this stuff happens? Aren't there books or policies giving guidance on the design of critical components? It would seem there are not. Just because BMW lucked out on its first try doesn't guaranty that Harley did. It also doesn't mean that Harley didn't, but it is new and may have "growing pains" out in the real world not uncovered on the test track. That is the concern many people, myself included, have.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Hedgehog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only thing missing on the new ultra that the 2013 had is the cb. Other than that, it's got the four speakers and the intercom. I haven't touched a cb in 20 years so I don't think that's a concern.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

If I were considering buying one of these bikes, which I'm not - and never will, I'd go with the Ultra with the air cooled motor. They already have plenty of well known and thoroughly documented (and, of course, vehemently denied by the MOCO) design defects as it is.

The MOCO-designed water cooling system looks like something that Rube Goldberg would have come up with, to say the least and, IMO, is just one more major thing to f**k up and leave you stranded with nobody who actually knows how to work on/fix it!

To me, paying thousands of $$$ more to be a beta-tester is, to put it mildly, somewhat moderately less than sane.

Last edited by jpooch00; 12-11-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:21 AM
rmfischer
Cruiser

I bought a 14 Ultra Limited but not before doing a lot of research. I can honestly say I am very happy I did. The liquid cooling makes a HUGE difference. I had a 13 Limited that roasted my leg even after I replaced the head pipes with ones that had the cat removed. With the 14 I have not roasted yet and I haven't even worried about taking out the cat yet. Well not because of the heat at least. As for the cost differences you really need to look at what you get and if the features are what you want. With all the differences in the bikes if you wanted to add some of the features it would cost you way more than the difference between the two to upgrade. the infotainment alone is almost a 2k difference. Add in the liquid cooling, the cb, the painted inner fairing, upgraded wheels, and I believe heated grips but I do not recall if those are on the ultra or not. Those features alone are going to cost more than the difference in price. If you have no interest in any of these features then go with the ultra and save some money. If you have any interest then go with the limited.
I am not sure but the lights may even be different. The led headlights on the limited might be the upgraded ones over the Ultra. I know the Street Glides have a different light in them and I know the LED's on the Limited are way better than those.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

All the riding reports on the latest bikes suggest they are a far nicer ride than the 'old' air cooled ones, so if I was in the market I would say thanks for the past, welcome to the future. Besides I quite like the cream/brown Limited paint-job......

Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
If I were considering buying one of these bikes, which I'm not - and never will, I'd go with the Ultra with the air cooled motor. They already have plenty of well known and thoroughly documented (and, of course, vehemently denied by the MOCO) design defects as it is.

The MOCO-designed water cooling system looks like something that Rube Goldberg would have come up with, to say the least and, IMO, is just one more major thing to f**k up and leave you stranded with nobody who actually knows how to work on/fix it!

To me, paying thousands of $$$ more to be a beta-tester is, to put it mildly, somewhat moderately less than sane.
Design Defects? What design defect does the limited have. They all had an issue with a clutch reservoir wasn't a design issue wrong part was used. The cooling issue puking has nothing at all to do with design it is now documented as a faulty part and is being addressed. Having the exhaust valve cooled with a liquid it not new design; it is just new on a Harley motorcycle. I still say come trade in time the Limited will return the extra you paid for it in trade in value. The extras the limited comes with are worth the money when comparing. If your budget allows it the Limited is the way to go.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
RSDUDA
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my limited

Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM
barrync
Novice

All the "ewwwh, I wouldn't buy the twin cooled Hd, is crap, it's going to break down on a long trip"... Man, get a grip!. If you travel long distances, I'd be more concerned about my tires, weather and traffic than a pint sized cooling system. If you lost water, you could fill it with a water bottle. I bought the Ultra Limited twin cooled and it rocks. I took my '05 road king across country and the shifter peg fell off the first day... Did I think my road king was a pos? .. No, stuff happens and you deal with it

Last edited by barrync; 12-29-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by barrync
All the "ewwwh, I wouldn't buy the twin cooled Hd, is crap, it's going to break down on a long trip"... Man, get a grip!. If you travel long distances, I'd be more concerned about my tires, weather and traffic than a pint sized cooling system. If you lost water, you could fill it with a water bottle. I bought the Ultra Limited twin cooled and it rocks. I took my '05 road king across country and the shifter peg fell off the first day... Did I think my road king was a pos? .. No, stuff happens and you deal with it
Ahh, the voice of reason...got my new Limited Thursday and after reading all the negative comments I was ready to donate mine to charity! Absolutely LOVE it so far (only 85 miles ridden), FAR AND AWAY better than the '06 Ultra I previously owned. And I think like you, I'm O.K. being a Beta tester (if that's what they call us), it's warrantied and if it breaks it will be fixed. The MoCo's future depends on getting the heat issues under control and this, IMO, is just the first step, maybe next year an all liquid cooled Road Glide? And I notice most of the bashers don't even own '14's so I really take credence only in what a '14 owner says, most of the others are just sour grapes...IMHO of course! Ride safe...

Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM
BUSTERK
Advanced

Bought a 13 limited in May before the 14's were out. Had a minor accident in August which damaged the frame. I traded it in and had the choice of the 14 limited or the exact replacement of the 13. I opted for the 13 again. It is every thing I personally would want/need in a bike. I am not a gadget guy and the 13 was such an upgrade from my 02. The two most appreciated enhancements being the EFI and cruise control. I am just not ready for a liquid cooled Harley.

Quick Reply: 2014 ultra vs. ultra limited