Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 ultra vs. ultra limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 AM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

More controlled heat in low speed conditions for one, the heat from the radiators is directed out from the rider, there is a few threads on test riding the 14s and the heat is not as bad as the air cooled on the legs even with the lowers

Old 08-24-2013, 11:07 AM
dnespolo
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just don't understand what is the worry about the water cooling, it is just some liquid going trough the top end engine to control the temp. What can go wrong with it, the liquid pump, the radiator? It is a simple system. I'm pretty sure you can gain a lot more power out of it with little mods.
BMW came out with the same thing on their GS1200 and nobody is worry of any parts failure.
We are in 2013 any manufacturing should be able to come out with these kind of technology with any problem at all.
I understand that some folks rather to keep air cooler just because MoCo it what it always been about but i wouldn't worry to buy any liquid cooler bike from them.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by av ultra
More controlled heat in low speed conditions for one, the heat from the radiators is directed out from the rider, there is a few threads on test riding the 14s and the heat is not as bad as the air cooled on the legs even with the lowers
"directed out from the rider", so in other words, the rider is sitting in a vacuum? Do you also have a favorite flavor of "koolaid"?

Bwana

Old 08-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Hedgehog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came back from the local dealer that had several touring bikes so I did get to compare them side by side. One thing I noticed on the twin cooled bikes is that harley deleted the oil cooler and replaced it with the electric water pump. On the twin cooled, there is no storage in the lowers.
I understand what one person said about if the cooling system fails, it is still air cooled. My thing is, with all the electronics, will the bike run the same or will the computer go into a fail safe mode or even worse, just shut down due to excessive engine temperature.
I like the big navigation radio but will it be like factory nav in a car where you can't do anything with it unless you are stopped?
Decisions, decisions

Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with what has been tested and true. I have a 2010 FLHTK and I love it. You cant just change what you want now on a 14 FLHTK as far as fater market parts and if you want the bike to be yours then I would go 13 or lower if want to mod it out, cause that aint happening on a 14. Just saying. Good luck with your purchase! RIde safe when you get it!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hedgehog
I just came back from the local dealer that had several touring bikes so I did get to compare them side by side. One thing I noticed on the twin cooled bikes is that harley deleted the oil cooler and replaced it with the electric water pump. On the twin cooled, there is no storage in the lowers.
I understand what one person said about if the cooling system fails, it is still air cooled. My thing is, with all the electronics, will the bike run the same or will the computer go into a fail safe mode or even worse, just shut down due to excessive engine temperature.
I like the big navigation radio but will it be like factory nav in a car where you can't do anything with it unless you are stopped?
Decisions, decisions
I didnt know my joking comment would get so much attention. But since it did, I am sure that HD has some kind of fail safe to to put the bike in limp mode when it detects a failure of the cooling system, but if you think about it once that does happen, it is still a factory 103 with an "almost" 255 cam stage 2 setup and it will return to air cooling. Thats my redneck educated shot in the dark and I am sticking to it, what say others? Sorry OP, didnt mean to hijack but it is a valid point that my comment brought up. I also think that in the not so far distant future new limp mode threads will pop up related to the new cooling system. 7 DAYS OF SANDSUCKING LEFT FELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by my67pnycar; 08-25-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 AM
tekeum
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
Well, look at it like this, if it the cooling system breaks down( springs a leak) then it will become just an air cooled ultra like the rest of em, win win, lol... just sayin.
Exactly!!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
I didnt know my joking comment would get so much attention. But since it did, I am sure that HD has some kind of fail safe to to put the bike in limp mode when it detects a failure of the cooling system, but if you think about it once that does happen, it is still a factory 103 with an "almost" 255 cam stage 2 setup and it will return to air cooling. Thats my redneck educated shot in the dark and I am sticking to it, what say others? Sorry OP, didnt mean to hijack but it is a valid point that my comment brought up. I also think that in the not so far distant future new limp mode threads will pop up related to the new cooling system. 7 DAYS OF SANDSUCKING LEFT FELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
get home quick and get home safe!!! When you are home ride safe!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Timmy, hey, thats my brothers name,lol.... Stay safe out there.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

depending what you are looking for in equipment you could go with either model , but the Ultra is not the ultra any more , it is more like the classic used to be , no cb and not all the bells and whistles they used to have , you now have to get a limited to get what used to be on the Ultra

Quick Reply: 2014 ultra vs. ultra limited