Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a road king?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:23 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to buy a road king?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me with some knowledge....I usually read the sportster s forum but I sold my baby today!....I'm looking into getting a bigger bike over the winter hopefully......I am a big guy and as much as I did to the sportster , I think a bigger bike will suit me better and be more comfortable.....

I am looking at buying used....I'll have around ten thousand hopefully come dec or jan.....as far as Craigslist goes that would mean I'd be looking at say a 2004 or so....with around 10,000 miles give or take.....

Any years to watch out for....mileage concerns?....I know touring models probably get more miles put on em.....any thoughts on the regular road king, classic etc?.....is it just a difference in hard or soft bags?.....

I'm 6 '4 and about 300 lbs so I'm a big guy.....I know I'll have to probably at least get highway pegs or extended floorboards, not sure what else is available to make it a better ride....any thoughts tips , experiences would be much appreciated.....thanks guys.....ryan

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There are plenty of threads on classic verses standard..... Even recent threads on different issues with different years. I road a 2014 1200 sportster today, and I thought that thing road like crap!!!!!!! ( sorry sportster guys)

If that's your old ride, buy any year road king and you'll be happy!!

One thing - expect some miles!!!! Mine is a '12, and I got over 9,000 miles......

Old 08-23-2013, 06:44 PM
ryan9977
Tourer

Yeah I've been reading a lot on here.....just trying to sort everything out....I like doing research so I'll be busy.....well regarding the sportster it was my first bike so I thought it rode great!...lol....I have always liked the looks of the road king but I guess I'm not a hundred percent yet....just exploring my options....my budget probably won't go much over ten grand so well see I guess....ryan

Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I would think that ten grand would put you in a 09 Road King rather easily in January. EBay has some nice bikes at a fair price if you are patient.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 PM
ryan9977
Tourer

Really 09.... I guess. The prices will drop some in the winter...I couldn't find anything near that on Craigslist yet...but I've also just started looking.....any of u guys buy from ebay?....I'd be really scared to buy something I never saw....and then potentially have to ship it too....sounds like a lot of variables....what if u wind up with a lemon....ryan

Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If you are limited to ten grand, take your time and buy local or at least close enough to go get the bike. Shipping is an expensive item. I have bought two bikes on EBay and sold two on EBay. No problems either way.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
Really 09.... I guess. The prices will drop some in the winter...I couldn't find anything near that on Craigslist yet...but I've also just started looking.....any of u guys buy from ebay?....I'd be really scared to buy something I never saw....and then potentially have to ship it too....sounds like a lot of variables....what if u wind up with a lemon....ryan
I've bought 3 bikes on ebay and have been pleased but you have to follow some common sense rules.
1. Do not deal with someone who is selling the bike for someone else. Enough said.
2. Call and talk to the owner before committing to buy and ask the tough questions.
3. Run the VIN through your insurance co and make sure they are no problems.
4. Put a deposit if buying and go pick it up in person with the balance in a cashier check. Let the seller know you will do the final inspection in person. Rent a Uhaul trailer of you don't feel comfortable riding it back home.
5. Check the feedback on Ebay for the seller. If the number of feedbacks is less than 30, be careful. If the score is not a 100%, walk away.
These are just my rules, others may have their own ideas.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Cheryl RK
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a Road King too. Right now I ride a 500 Ninja but have ridden both a Sportster and a Heritage. I hated the Sportster but I liked the Heritage. What I want in a bike is lockable luggage and a windshield. I don't need the trunk and I don't need a backrest. So I think what I need is a Road King. Any thoughts on my logic?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 PM
USMCScoutSwimmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I bought my 2006 road king for 11k with 12250 miles on it. So I don't think 10k is going to get u a later model. I've put around 7k in it since then. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by USMCScoutSwimmer
Last year I bought my 2006 road king for 11k with 12250 miles on it. So I don't think 10k is going to get u a later model. I've put around 7k in it since then. Good luck.
Is this picture the RK you bought?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a road king?