Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a road king?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM
PFR-Captain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definetely need a RK over a Heritage ST for your size. Be patient and you can find a 2007 or newer with low miles for $10K. I guarantee you will then spend some more cash getting it to fit you just right, new or different seat, bars etc.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Cheryl RK
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definately try a Road King before I buy one. I didn't realize that there was such a difference between the Heritage and the Road King. I'm 5'6" also, so I'll make sure I get to ride one the next time their Demo Days are in town. One of the big reasons that I was liking the Road King was that it had lockable luggage and seemed to have more features than the Heritage.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Hey Cheryl - I too had looked at the Softails and RK. I had decided on the Heritage or the RK as the final choices. I rented each for a day to ride from my dealer to get a real feel for the bikes. Took 'em both on longer rides as well as around town. Although the Heritage was a bit easier to handle, the RK ride was much more comfy for me, so the RK won out. I'm also the same height as you and Guntoter and I had mods done to get me flat footed. IMO, the RK is the better choice, and the '14's have even better improvements if you want to go new.

Hey Ryan - I would also suggest, if you have a bit more to save, you might want to consider an '09 or later RK. Guntoter makes some good points on what to look for, and HD changed the frame in '09 to provide better handling characteristics. A buddy of mine has an '07 and I can feel the difference in the rides. I too started out on a Sporty and the ride is like night and day vs the RK.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my 2000 a few yeas ago with 26k on it for 10 grand, I've got that in it over again to make it look and go like it does, up here in WI, the vast majority of road kings on CL for 10 grand or less are gonna be 05 or so and older. I don't count that as a bad thing myself, while i'm sure the 09's and later probably do handle better, I have no trouble at all handling my 2000, and the ride is awesome regardless, so even if you went with an older one, you'll love the road king. Change the oil and watch the cam chain tensioners, and it'll outlive you.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, and also, if you're actually gonna do any significan traveling with it, myself, i'd suggest hard bags. the leather ones just aren't so good at being water tight. I like the way they look, but next spring my bike's gonna be pulling outa the garage with some stretched hard bags.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:14 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I would think that ten grand would put you in a 09 Road King rather easily in January. EBay has some nice bikes at a fair price if you are patient.
I'm not being smart, but I can't see where you're from on my phone. Can you really get a deal like that where you're at? They run about 13k-16k around here...

Last edited by Loc_Tite; 08-24-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 AM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
I'm not being smart, but I can't see where you're from on my phone. Can you really get a deal like that where you're at? They run about 13k-16k around here...
Ditto that - if you can find an 09 Road King for $10k buy it immediately!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
I from the TX panhandle. I was basing my comment on next winter, a 2009 will be five years old. A new custom is $18K, so I was just popping off. Seems that I am in the minority of one. Searching successful sales on EBay, it will be feasible in the winter. Where I live would be considered a rural area, so not much for sale here period.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 AM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good guys....I'm in saving mode...till I hear from the bozo who was gonna buy my bike....if he doesn't buy it ill just keep riding and saving...who knows, maybe I'll be able to save for a new one....Ryan

P.s....so what is the deal with these cam tensioner s?.....what d they do....where r they?...what's he problem with them?...ryan

Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 AM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you google the image for "88 twin cam cam chain tensioner" you will get a LOT of pictures. I tried to paste one here, but alas....also, if you go with an earlier model, '02 or earlier, you can use your savings to upgrade to gear driven cams, add a big bore kit and do headwork, and be WAY ahead of the game HP-and TQ-wise. There are so many garage queens out there, including mine. And I've never had my leather bags leak--even riding thru major thunderstorms for hours down here.

Last edited by CBud; 08-24-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Picture failure...

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a road king?