Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a road king?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 PM
USMCScoutSwimmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I've put 7k to make it look like this as noted above

Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have big feet like me, the extended riders floorboards, extended shifters and extended brake lever. Probably touring pegs since you're tall. Higher bars. Maybe an upgraded seat though the stock seat isn't that bad for the rider, a bit worse for the passenger.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say you won't find a 09 for 10k.
But see if you can scratch together $12k and you can find a nice 09 maybe 2010.
I thing it's a nicer bike with new frame ect 09 and newer.
I bought a 09 in feb in Michigan with 6k miles for 12k and thought I found a real deal.Still have it rides super nice.

Hap

Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCScoutSwimmer
Yes. I've put 7k to make it look like this as noted above
Great looking bike.

Looks like at this time, $10K won't get you in an 09 road king. In the winter it could be close. Don't buy a bike that doesn't have excellent tires.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 08-23-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCScoutSwimmer
Last year I bought my 2006 road king for 11k with 12250 miles on it. So I don't think 10k is going to get u a later model. I've put around 7k in it since then. Good luck.
Yeah, that!! My buddy bought an 09 earlier this year for about $14k, and it was one of the best deals we found in months!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

You don't have to go any higher than 10 grand, you should be able to find plenty of Road Kings in that price range. '02 and earlier used a forged set of flywheels which are stronger than the '03 and later cast flywheels. Only matters if you plan to build the engine big. On '06 and older bikes they came with spring loaded cam chain tensioners, which have a limited life span and eventually will break apart and do some major damage. Usually people who know this change them out to the hydraulic tensioners which last way longer. Just something you need to ask the seller if he di it. If not, figure at least $500, or more, to get them replaced with labor, parts and all. '07 and later went to the 96 in engine and 6 speed transmission. Earlier bikes were stock with the 88 incher and 5 speed, but quite a few had a big bore kit bringing them to 95 inch. The 88 in bikes run pretty good, I had one in a Softail and after I did the big bore kit it really rolled.

I would think you should be able to find a bike in the NJ or surrounding states area in great condition with 10-20,000 miles for 10 G's or less. In the next few months you may see a load of bikes come on the market as the hype over the '14 models reaches a crescendo and people are willing to deal more to off load their older bikes to buy the new ones.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 570 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheryl RK
I'm looking for a Road King too. Right now I ride a 500 Ninja but have ridden both a Sportster and a Heritage. I hated the Sportster but I liked the Heritage. What I want in a bike is lockable luggage and a windshield. I don't need the trunk and I don't need a backrest. So I think what I need is a Road King. Any thoughts on my logic?
The Heritage has a lower center of gravity than the RK,makesit feel lighter than it is.the RK has a higher cg,it is heavier and it feels heavier.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Good post Guntoter. A new 2013 road king custom is only $18k. I was surprised that $10k wouldn't touch a 2009 this winter.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the great info....I might be waiting longer than expected....my buyer just called and said he needed a few more days to think about buying my bike....this is a few hours after shaking my hand and leaving my house....ohh well might be cramped on the sporty for a while longer....keep your fingers crossed for me....I'll still be saving for a bigger bike though for sure....ryan

Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
The Heritage has a lower center of gravity than the RK,makesit feel lighter than it is.the RK has a higher cg,it is heavier and it feels heavier.
I wish I had gotten a Heritage Softail instead of my bike for the above reason. I am 5'6" and moving my bike around or pushing it backwards while seated on it is a pain in the *** and I am on the verge of losing it sometimes. I have lowered the rear 1.5" and the front 1" and have a lower sitting seat but its still a pain. I had a Softail Standard before and loved it, I should have stayed in the Softail group as I can get a lot lower seat for it.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a road king?