Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Great info on the new twin cooled heads.Thank you ! I was wondering if you could do the same type of test and include a "de-cated " header pipe bike ? I was wondering how much effect it would have on the bike ? Possibly show how much heat is reduced by 'de-cating"the header pipe ? I am sure it has a effect on the head temps, exhaust temps and oil temps.. Thnaks again..
I don't think removing a cat has an impact on head temp because the CAT is after the air has left the engine and is on its way out the muffler. It has an impact on 'leg' temp because the pipes are cooler without the cat but I don't think it would impact the heads.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The CAT starts to do it's job at around 400-500 deg. Normal operating temp of the CAT is from 1200-1600 deg. I would think that the heat will radiate up the pipes.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 PM
dlhovland
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumb want to follow thread. Love My 2011 Road glide ulra. Lets see if they bring back the road glide with this twin cooled motor in 15

Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Birddog1911
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting to hear from Jamie again. I'd like to know when they're gonna have a Stage 1 Air kit for it.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
The CAT starts to do it's job at around 400-500 deg. Normal operating temp of the CAT is from 1200-1600 deg. I would think that the heat will radiate up the pipes.
Given the temperature of the exhaust gases as they leave the exhaust valve, the heat from the cat wouldn't conduct past that point. Heat will try to move to cooler areas, not to areas which are hotter or equal in temperature. Thus CHTs won't be significantly affected by decatting.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Given the temperature of the exhaust gases as they leave the exhaust valve, the heat from the cat wouldn't conduct past that point. Heat will try to move to cooler areas, not to areas which are hotter or equal in temperature. Thus CHTs won't be significantly affected by decatting.
but it may breath better, so there is probably a slight temp drop, but it's not much

Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lgenf
but it may breath better, so there is probably a slight temp drop, but it's not much
How well it breathes is determined primarily by throttle position and intake (particularly filter). In the kinds of conditions where people complain about heat (cruise and idle) it's the throttle plate which is the primary restriction. Decatting doesn't change the flow at idle because there's so little to begin with.

It does affect reversion, however, but that effect is also minor at idle. Depending on how it affects it, there may be an improvement (or reduction) in scavenging at cruise. But you're right, the effect is still minor.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVmnt
At least give us a teaser! Stock HP/TQ run quick before 5!
Hey, I know you!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

My Limited is starting to rock, Don't know what hp is but rolls down the highway with authority, it rolled over 2400 miles this weekend and shines. Rode from Eastern PA to northern NY(300+ miles) yesterday in 50-55* and periodic rain, it has amazing power(for a stock motor) to get out of traffic clusters(75-100mph) is effortless and pulls hard. No complaints but still not a warmed 103" with 54 cams and tuning, but close.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts
Default power

Originally Posted by roadglider05
My Limited is starting to rock, Don't know what hp is but rolls down the highway with authority, it rolled over 2400 miles this weekend and shines. Rode from Eastern PA to northern NY(300+ miles) yesterday in 50-55* and periodic rain, it has amazing power(for a stock motor) to get out of traffic clusters(75-100mph) is effortless and pulls hard. No complaints but still not a warmed 103" with 54 cams and tuning, but close.
I agree on the power of this bike. Going down an on ramp to the interstate I was over a hundred so fast I did not even realize it. The bike rides so smooth you don't realize how fast you are going when rolling on the throttle. Going 90 the bike feels like you are doing 65. Very stable and smooth. It will be interesting to see what stage 1 will offer when it becomes available. Word round here is sometime in November. K&N rep said they are working on new filter and should have one before end of year for our bikes. I am thinking about just leaving it as is except for the Big Louie pipes I already have on it.

Quick Reply: 2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto