Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:55 PM
burgies08ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suppose the new cams and increase in compression is also for the riders comfort??

Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Always beleive what a dealer tells you. especially sales because they are the most informed

Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
I was told by the sales manager at my local HD dealeship that when he was in Vegas for the unveiling, they were told that the liquid cooled heads were for rider comfort not performance.
Interesting, since I'm sure I saw someone else on this Forum say their sales manager came back from the show to report that the liquid cooled heads WERE NOT for rider comfort but instead was to help improving power around 60-80 where customers wanted more power for highway passing. If I find it I'll edit this post to supply that quote.

No surprise to me that a salesmen, especially a sales manager, will say whatever they think will make a sale. Not clear to me yet though what Harley's intentions really are.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by roadglider05
Always beleive what a dealer tells you. especially sales because they are the most informed
http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapa...ouring-models/

"At the launch Harley-Davidson executives were adamant that this technical development was not because the company needed to do it to meet future emission testing, but simply because its customer had asked for it to be done.

“In our Project Rushmore program we talked to a lot of customers and one of the key things they asked us to do was look at how we could reduce heat from the v-twin engine. We went away and came back with what we think is an excellent solution,” said Levatich. But he conceded that maybe in the future other models could be offered with what the company has tagged “Twin-Cooled Twin Cam v-twin motors.” "

and

"But, unlike the air-cooled engine, ignition is not retarded in really hot weather which results in a drop off of power, and the Twin-Cooled is able to run better at much higher temperatures in demanding riding conditions. And because this motor runs cooler, Harley-Davidson has been able to increase its compression ratio from 9.6:1 to 10.1:1. "

Last edited by MNPGRider; 09-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I ride a 2010 FLHTK and the 2014 has added more than the water cooled. The stronger front forks, the vent through the fairing, the sliding vents in lowers, painted inner fairing, Led lighting all around, latest technology radio with larger speakers, gps, phone/IPod hookup, one finger opening saddle bags, single latch tourpack, wider backseat and redesigned seat, different air cleaner, more compression, link coupled brakes, and cams. If I do decide to trade up it won't be due to the water cooled feature. I won't take it off though. We need all the help we can get down south in the heat. If you get hung up in traffic or by train you have a problem if it is mid to high 90's any help cooling is fine for me. I suspect the ones fussing about the water cooled aren't riding the Limited anyway. It really don't bother or attract me that much about the water cooled. The LED lighting is my favorite feature. I haven't seen anyone fussing about it.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I was told by the sales manager at my local HD dealeship that when he was in Vegas for the unveiling, they were told that the liquid cooled heads were for rider comfort not performance. All the whining here about performance being similar to air-cooled engines is a moot point as far as HD is concerned. If you want performance buy an air-cooled 120R and stick it in a new 2014 and hang on.
I am wondering if your sales manager didn't get a different message than the rest of the dealers did because most of them went to Denver for the unveiling of the 2014 models.
Maybe he just felt "lucky" and decided to go on his own little private junket in Vegas. That is what I would have done.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rule # 1. Don't believe everything the sales staff tell you.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Subscribed

(no idea what you guys are talking about, share how please)
I wondered the same thing for quite awhile until I figured out that it must mean, "I'll be following this post to see what you found out." Looks like it's gonna be 398 posts of the word "subscribed."

Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told by the sales manager at my local HD dealeship that when he was in Vegas for the unveiling, they were told that the liquid cooled heads were for rider comfort not performance. All the whining here about performance being similar to air-cooled engines is a moot point as far as HD is concerned. If you want performance buy an air-cooled 120R and stick it in a new 2014 and hang on.
and it's already pretty obvious that it's fact.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Rule # 1. Don't believe everything the sales staff tell you.
Rule # 2. Don't believe anything the sales staff tell you.

Quick Reply: 2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto