Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM
blacktopr
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
I have not ridden in the rain, however with the flap closed there is no air passing thru the vent if you place your hand over it.
First off let me say thanks for the work you guys are doing .I am buying a new limited next year (2015) and the info is great. I find it interesting that there are so many skeptics and non engineers making negative statement. I would suggest that folks look at the history of the T C motor and suggest that it has always been the plan for this motor to have some type of cooling .Donny Peterson noted early on when being one of the first builders to view the TC 88 (Pre Production) that the build and design was set up to allow this type of application. Harley has a number of engineers in different fields of expertise. Beyond the hole in the fairing ( which my guess was asked and answered by a bunch of engineers and lab as well as field tested for more hours than we could imagine) This bike and system was worked and reworked over 4 years with a lot of foresight given to the future I’m sure .My guess is that internally as far as the wiring and other sub systems on the bike there is a heck of a lot more going on than any of us realize . Take a breath and thank the MOCO for staying relevant but holding onto classic lines and desighns

The following users liked this post:
Hoyt15 FLHTK (08-22-2023)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktopr
First off let me say thanks for the work you guys are doing .I am buying a new limited next year (2015) and the info is great. I find it interesting that there are so many skeptics and non engineers making negative statement. I would suggest that folks look at the history of the T C motor and suggest that it has always been the plan for this motor to have some type of cooling .Donny Peterson noted early on when being one of the first builders to view the TC 88 (Pre Production) that the build and design was set up to allow this type of application. Harley has a number of engineers in different fields of expertise. Beyond the hole in the fairing ( which my guess was asked and answered by a bunch of engineers and lab as well as field tested for more hours than we could imagine) This bike and system was worked and reworked over 4 years with a lot of foresight given to the future I’m sure .My guess is that internally as far as the wiring and other sub systems on the bike there is a heck of a lot more going on than any of us realize . Take a breath and thank the MOCO for staying relevant but holding onto classic lines and desighns
Sorry, but I'm not all that impressed with HD engineering. If they were half as good as you seem to think they are we wouldn't have half the problems seen on these forums on a regular basis. I'm also not all that taken in by the cosmetic improvements but that's a personal thing I guess.

That dyno chart is sad IMHO. Now you have all that extra crap (lowers, radiators, water pump, hoses, coolant etc.) to cool one lousy quart of water and that dyno sheet is the result? No thanks. JMHO.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 08-30-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
kipd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had many different makes of bikes and belonged to the owner group forums for most of them. It's funny how you can read through the posts and they sound like they are the only bikes that have problems and issues. For anyone that gets pissed at Harley and their engineering or model choices, just go visit a competitor forum for awhile and listen to all the bitching going on about their engineering or model choices.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 103 twin cooled dyno graph is pretty impressive, I think there's a lot left on the table for the 110, they probably left the compression the same, the same 50mm throttle body, the same 255 cams, just pumped some coolant thru the heads and added a new compensator. they should have massive gains with a little more compression and cams.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kipd
I've had many different makes of bikes and belonged to the owner group forums for most of them. It's funny how you can read through the posts and they sound like they are the only bikes that have problems and issues. For anyone that gets pissed at Harley and their engineering or model choices, just go visit a competitor forum for awhile and listen to all the bitching going on about their engineering or model choices.
I just think with all of the known problems they could do better if they wanted to. Some of the fixes are not all that costly. Take the inner cam bearings for example. It's my understanding the new bikes finally have full complement bearings. How long did that take? I've got 3 friends who's motors were destroyed because of that one. Of course the trade off is removing the grease zerk from the neck.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 08-30-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You took the words right out of my mouth. We also have a CanAm Sprder and the amount of postings that state "For the price of this machine we shouldn't be having thes issues" is on par with what is stated here.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Egldr05
I just think with all of the known problems they could do better if they wanted to. Some of the fixes are not all that costly. Take the inner cam bearings for example. It's my understanding the new bikes finally have full complement bearings. How long did that take? Of course the trade off is removing the grease zerk from the neck.

Rick
the grease zerk from the neck

And has not yet to be proven as a problem.... Seriously how many bikes out there do this service that have never had zerks? its just perception IMO

Old 08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Agreed, I mentioned the other day that my Gold Wing buddy is still waiting for Honda to fix things on his bike that started in 2001. What really strikes me about Harley whiners is that no other cycle manufacturer, reacts as quickly to customer comments as Harley. No company puts out as many colors and changes each year. The main reason the new Indians won't take a huge market share of Harley customers is because MOCO will react so quickly.

Beary

Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Mathnerd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't blame the engineers

The engineers hands are tied by the marketing and finance people.
I am sure that if you were able to ask the engineers what they wanted you would see many different things. As an engineer I can tell you that not many of my ideal designs go from paper to real world. You get told "Make it less expensive" or "Make it faster to implement". I doubt it was the engineers idea to use a caged bearing on the cams. They were told to engineer to a price.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:31 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Egldr05
Sorry, but I'm not all that impressed with HD engineering. If they were half as good as you seem to think they are we wouldn't have half the problems seen on these forums on a regular basis. I'm also not all that taken in by the cosmetic improvements but that's a personal thing I guess.

That dyno chart is sad IMHO. Now you have all that extra crap (lowers, radiators, water pump, hoses, coolant etc.) to cool one lousy quart of water and that dyno sheet is the result? No thanks. JMHO.

Rick
Good luck with you Goldwing. They've mastered water-cooled.

Quick Reply: 2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto