Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Andy627
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should keep them Air cooled not a fan

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Thom
The dealer sales rep told me the cooling is on the exhaust. Being it is there rather than the heads, there is probably some truth to this.
Given the tuning required for the EPA, they need to cool the valves and guides to keep them from burning, permanently distorting, in the heat that they generate. They wouldn't do it only for rider comfort. Also when the displacement goes bigger, and they tune to target requirements, they needed to aid the air only. I have read various articles that praise the MoCo designers for being able to keep them running, with the reliability, given the target emissions values.They have design control over liquid cooling, and none over ambient air.

Last edited by VTL nut; 08-27-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM
jjwaller
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to just post a comment and im automatically subscribed.. but im also curious on how the temperature range will differ from the oil/ air cooled. I cant imagne it being much, but im also curious how HD managed to control possible boil over.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
I like to just post a comment and im automatically subscribed.. but im also curious on how the temperature range will differ from the oil/ air cooled. I cant imagne it being much, but im also curious how HD managed to control possible boil over.
I am guessing that the temperature of the coolant (ethyl glycol) never gets to the point where it would boil and turn to steam. It will be real interesting to see what the oil temperatures are like with this twin cooling setup. So many questions...so few answers yet.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
I am guessing that the temperature of the coolant (ethyl glycol) never gets to the point where it would boil and turn to steam. It will be real interesting to see what the oil temperatures are like with this twin cooling setup. So many questions...so few answers yet.
Well, the coolant doesn't turn to steam because this is a pressurized system just like your truck. So, I think the combination of the coolant's chemistry plus being under pressure are the keys to keeping it stable well past 212F.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Am interested in finding out if the stage 1 air intakes (SE, Big suckers, etc) will fit under the new cover and what impact they will have on performance.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Old 08-28-2013, 01:05 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,166 Likes on 1,358 Posts

We have been getting a ton of questions regarding running temps and how heat is dissipated on the new 14 Twin Cooled bikes, I wanted to get some time in the seat before making judgement, however I can say having spent many miles on the pre-14 bike that the new 14 does certainly do a better job of keeping engine heat away from the rider. Last weekend we had 90 degree temps and while I am not going to say there was no radiant heat, it is better than on the earlier bike. The exhaust system and catalyst still are just as hot but the heat coming from the motor is noticeably lower. We are very excited to go into further testing so we can provide more detailed info on specific cylinder head temp, etc.. as well as documenting how the new bike responds to exhaust, air cleaner, and tuning. There are certainly going to be excellent improvements, and the twin cooled bikes are going to respond to higher compression as we have more temp control.

I also want to comment on the new vent in the fairing on the 14 bikes. It is AWESOME! with the vent open there is nearly zero buffeting, I can actually wear a baseball cap on the highway. This is a HUGE improvement over the earlier fairing, I have tried half a dozen windscreens on my earlier bike and the stock one on this bike is excellent.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,166 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ftzoid
Regarding the twin cooling, Jamie - I'm curious if the cooling (liquid) would have the wherewithal to keep the motor cool enough to prevent EITMS from engaging in a lengthy idle situation. For that matter, really, with the right tune is the liquid cooling even necessary? Other than those situations where the liquid cooling would be welcome (stand still traffic and no air), with a properly tuned motor, do you see a need? Thanks for your time.
EITMS does not help cool the motor and when it activates it does not mean the motor is overheating, it is a strategy that is in place to try to slow down the rate that engine temp increases. On an air cooled motor running stationary, the longer it runs the hotter is going to get.

Quick Reply: 2014 Harley FLHTK Twin Cooled testing & info by Fuel Moto