Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something slipping at 3800?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013 | 10:33 AM
noreastermma
|
Advanced
Default Something slipping at 3800?

I Have a 2002FLHT carb, Rinehart slipons, as far as I know motor stock... I felt something slipping.. assumed clutch,,, emptied the primary of 20000miles of old oil,,,,,, adjusted primary chain an clutch cable an clutch pack,,, still feel some slippage but not quite as much,,, I guess can pull clutch an clean plates? but any ideas would be appreciated thanls Buddha

*3800 rpm

Old 08-22-2013 | 10:49 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

could be your clutch pack is worn.
disks and plates could be checked

change the fluids a little more frequently in the future

mike

Old 08-22-2013 | 10:55 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

Re-adjust the clutch...

This time take care trying to find that position of 'first contact' when adjusting the clutch adjustment screw. Be sure the cable is completely loosened. When turning the clutch adjustment screw in, and you feel it make contact, turn it back out about a 1/4 turn, and go back in again. Do this several times, being sure to press the clutch lever on the handle bar along the way. You may see that each time you move the clutch adjuster screw in, it goes a little further each time until there is no further movement.

This is 'forcing' the throw out bearing to locate the ramp/***** properly. Once everything is in place, and you are sure there is no further slack, you can turn the clutch adjustment screw out to the 1/2 to 1 full turn.

It takes a little practice to see exactly what I'm saying, but once you get it right, you'll never forget it!

Old 08-22-2013 | 12:49 PM
noreastermma
|
Advanced

MK thanks, I just picked up this bike, the previous owner obviously didn't change it,, but I change the primary an trany every other engine oil change..

Def, thanks,,, I only adjusted the screw one time as u said,,, but I will do it several times an see how that wrks,, sounds like a gd idea.

let u know how I make out.. Thanks again Buddha

Old 08-26-2013 | 12:38 PM
noreastermma
|
Advanced

adjusted clutch pack again.., did it several times as suggest by deaf mute.,, seems mint at 2000 rpms to 3800(then I feel something slip)--- 4000 rpms up to 5000 rpms mint,,, I had dirt bikes since 8 yrs old,, got my liscence as senior in highschool,,, 2 years auto mechanics an did assembly disassembly for body shop couple years,, but im a back yard hack,,, could the feeling I got at 3800 rpms be the tranny? does a clutch slip minor before it goes? im not sure its clutch? I just feel its in the drive train? Had the bike for a 1000 miles(on my other bikes I changed primary an tranny oil every other motor oil change,,, what could it be if not clutch?? as said below maybe clutch worn because previous owner never changed fluid? any suggestions appreciated,. Thanks Buddha

Old 08-26-2013 | 12:54 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

There is nothing in the drive train that can slip other than the clutch... So, if you feel something slipping it has to be the clutch.

The clutch discs themselves may be worn or otherwise damaged, i.e., warped, scored, etc. Alternatively, they may be ok and the spring could have relaxed a bit. If the fluid change and clutch adjustment fails to eliminate the slip, I would inspect the clutch discs. If they're worn or otherwise damaged replace them along with a new spring. If the discs look (and measure) ok, then simply replace the spring.