Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with amber passing lamps....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 AM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default For those with amber passing lamps....

I've read where a few of us forum members have changed their stock passing lamps over to amber for better visibility to cagers during the daylight hours. My question is how do you like the amber color for night riding? I mean back a$$ dark country roads w/o streetlights. Are you happy with the light output on these types of roads or do you feel you lost some light output from the stock white lamps? Did you buy a amber GE881 bulb from your local auto parts store? Anybody have any pics? Why is the sky blue....jeez I need some more coffee.......

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Jarhead2269
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are worried about light output, just find a dark country road at night and shut your spots off. This will give you the worst case (if the amber doesn't do anything for lighting the road at night) scenario and you can go from there. If it is ok then go for it, if its not bright enough try a brighter headlight (either new bulb, hid or a LED setup).
Most Harleys do good enough from the factory with just one light so I think you will be fine at night, esp if you upgrade your current headlight. Yes sopts do help lighting up the road but I would say they are like fog lights in a car, they light up the road directly in front and to the sides of you (depending on how you have them positioned) better but they aren't really needed.
Personally I would ask myself if I drive enough during the day in a place where I worry about the oncoming traffic seeing me. If you drive a lot in the city then this might be good for you. If you do nothing but freeway driving early in the morning and late at night then I wouldn't think this is the best place for your money.
My $.02, do with it what you wish

Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Amber lights are dying out, for main lighting. There was a time when it was compulsory in some countries, but then they saw the light! If you want good lighting for the very dark, buy high performance light bulbs. They will also be more effective during daylight. HID is now available in very compact form, so that is worth considering and if all three lights had that there won't be much more you could do, for either other road users, or seeing at dead of night!

Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I liked my amber passing lamps...

I have greater lighting with clear lens lamps, but I liked the amber glow on the vegetation next to the road, as I rolled down dark lonely back roads, listening to my exhaust bounce off of any large tree, rock wall face, or any other structure I might happen to pass by...

Taking in the soothing ambiance of the soft orange glow as I meander along the mildly twisted rural road, I would sometimes drift off into a surrealistic existence that could only happen in the best of dreams. I would feel at piece with everyone, and everything. I'd find myself wishing this dream would never come to an end...

Then, suddenly, as if a magical event had occurred, I pop out of the dream quickly, as I notice a shadow crossing in front of me. It is a wide eyed deer, staring into my face with more fear showing in it's eyes than one could ever imagine...

Yeah, the clear lens seem to be the best choice for safety and visibility...

Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Okay Thanks for the input guys! I was thinking amber just for the contrast difference during the daylight maybe just enough to draw the attention of the cager that sees us riders as invisible. More of safety thing. I figured I'd lose some lighting at night just wanted to see what other opinions were that have the amber already. Just weighing the costs between upgrading the entire headlamp/passing lamp to something different or simply popping in some amber bulbs.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got these..... http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/harleyhdg.html
They attach with velcro, so if you really need more light, just pull them off.
I don't ride much at night, so I really have no opinion as to the light output in the dark..I have the yellow ones.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used these on my bike and it may not be scientifically provable but after installing them nobody has pulled out in front of me and I get a lot of double takes from cagers. They also do very well in mist and fog.

Here's another view with the yellow bulb on the right side of the screen and original on the left. As you can see they're not real yellow but have a rich golden color that stands out in daylight.

Last edited by Badfinger; 08-22-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 08-22-2013, 01:52 PM
brownfoxx1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hay badfinger ya got a p/n for those lights ?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 PM
brownfoxx1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gound them at amazon thanks