Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting in 1st with clutch or neutral with clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
christo651
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually strive for neutral, sometimes can not find it or situation dictates starting in gear. I was wondering why the difference though. Thanks to all that posted.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

There is no benefit in using the clutch and certainly not engaging first gear (unless caught after say a stall in traffic). The starter drives directly onto the back of the clutch, then via the chain to the crankshaft and the clutch is a passenger.

In neutral the minimum of gears are turning inside the transmission, so windage losses are at their lowest. Pulling in the clutch achieves nothing, because the clutch is bypassed. Starting in first with the clutch pulled in means the starter is dealing with any clutch drag plus increased windage losses inside the transmission.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

You have it all wrong
the correct way is to hold throttle wide open in gear with no clutch in. will start right up no problem.

(DISCLAIMER) above is a joke do not attempt to do this.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,406 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is no benefit in using the clutch and certainly not engaging first gear (unless caught after say a stall in traffic). The starter drives directly onto the back of the clutch, then via the chain to the crankshaft and the clutch is a passenger.

In neutral the minimum of gears are turning inside the transmission, so windage losses are at their lowest. Pulling in the clutch achieves nothing, because the clutch is bypassed. Starting in first with the clutch pulled in means the starter is dealing with any clutch drag plus increased windage losses inside the transmission.
Not quite right, it does help to release the clutch plates so that the bike can be put into gear without clunking, try it.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

What "windage" in the transmission? When the clutch is pulled and the tranny in neutral, whatever has the least friction will give, either the clutch pates slide past each other or they don't and the input shaft spins. As long as you aren't moving, no gears are spinning either way so I don't understand the "windage" you are talking about.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,862 Likes on 19,341 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

"Pulling in the clutch achieves nothing, because the clutch is bypassed. Starting in first with the clutch pulled in means the starter is dealing with any clutch drag plus increased windage losses inside the transmission" ... Don't know that I ever heard about "windage" in the transmission ( possibly a Brit term? ) but there is a major advantage to using the clutch when starting the scooter ... It prevents "Premature Acceleration" ... and anything that is premature (hmmm) isn't good!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to (not) pull in my clutch when in (N) to start the bike, but have recently begun to start with clutch pulled in and in (N). Maybe it is easier on the trans/clutch assembly and the starting system.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
omaho5
Road Master

Shucks my bike has a tranny as well as a motor !
What next, liquid cooled heads ?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by btsom
The lack of understanding of the drive line amazes me. With the transmission in ANY gear, the drive line from the rear wheel to the transmission side of the clutch is locked together. No gear can turn while the bike is stationary. In a constant mesh transmission, all or no gears turn, there is no other way. They all turn when you are moving, none turn when you are not moving. This always being locked together is what makes it possible for the rear wheel to slide (most frequently when downshifting) on slippery surfaces even with the clutch lever fully pulled in.

There is always a liitle drag built into the clutch, primarily because it is a wet clutch. That is described above. For an illustration of drag, PUSH your bike while it is neutral, then push it while in gear and the clutch lever pulled fully in. If the bike has been sitting for a while, you will feel both the effort to "unstick" the clutch plates AND after that, you will feel the added drag (as compared to neutral) of moving the clutch plates past each other. When starting your bike in gear, your starter ALWAYS has to overpower that added drag. When in neutral, the transmission INPUT shaft is free to spin while not connected to any gear. Typically spinning the input shaft is easier than ungluing the clutch and then having the plates spinning past each other. I reserve starting in gear for the rare times I stall the engine on the street and want a quick restart to promote traffic flow.
Very well said....kudos!! I remember back to my Riders Edge course. In addition to the mechanical reasons you may want to opt to start in neutral, there is a safety piece. There are documented cases of people inadvertently engaging the clutch after starting in gear and having unintended movement and injury/damage. Now I can hear a lot of readers saying "That guy's an idiot, I'd never be that stupid." Maybe, maybe not. I'll bet anyone who's done that felt the same way before they did it. Given that I know I'm an imperfect human, I'll err on the side of keeping my own a$$ and bike safe and start it in neutral.

Whatever your choice, ride safe.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 PM
christo651
Cruiser

Yes I know starting in neutral with clutch in is the best way. The conversation started because I was wondering if something was out of adjustment, perhaps clutch, or cable, or etc...My first Harley and I do not remember my other bikes (Hondas) doing that, perhaps they did, I just do not remember. Sometimes hunting for neutral gets crazy, going up to 2nd then down to 1st, back and forth until it finally catches. Sometimes are harder than others. Yeah I know that's what she said...

Quick Reply: Starting in 1st with clutch or neutral with clutch