Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Road King Classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Something else to consider, if you put a four point docking station on a RKC, you bang up the lids unless you install a kit that limits the opening of the top - darn if you do, darn if you don't.
Well I guess if you try to hit the lids on the docking system, yea, you can damage it. I put hard bags on my RKC and have never had this problem; and I have the 4-pt. system. In fact I just had to go out and check what you are saying. If I intentionally try to hit the lids against the backrest post, I can, but why would I? Also, wouldnt the standard RK w/ 4-point system have the same issue?

Anyway, to the OP's question. I love the look and style of the RKC. I love the leather bags too, but wanted the hardbags for the security aspect. When I found a used set to match my bike I couldn't resist. Yea, I need to update my sig picture!

Last edited by MikeBel; 08-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 AM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2009 RKC. I enjoy the hard bags a lot more. I also like the thought of being able to patch a tire on the side of the road if needed.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM
01Byte
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just went through the same decision as you and went with the RKC.

For me, ABS and Cruise are mandatory. Right now, I'm enjoying the wheels and the leather bags. I also know that if I want, I can always replace them.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Byte
I just went through the same decision as you and went with the RKC.

For me, ABS and Cruise are mandatory. Right now, I'm enjoying the wheels and the leather bags. I also know that if I want, I can always replace them.
You can find a lot of RK with cruise and ABS, mine has ABS. It's cheaper to add cruise then replace wheels. To each their own.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Hurricane19
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Well I guess if you try to hit the lids on the docking system, yea, you can damage it. I put hard bags on my RKC and have never had this problem; and I have the 4-pt. system. In fact I just had to go out and check what you are saying. If I intentionally try to hit the lids against the backrest post, I can, but why would I? Also, wouldnt the standard RK w/ 4-point system have the same issue?

Anyway, to the OP's question. I love the look and style of the RKC. I love the leather bags too, but wanted the hardbags for the security aspect. When I found a used set to match my bike I couldn't resist. Yea, I need to update my sig picture!
The hard bags open away from the docking hardware so it is impossible to hit it, don't the classic leather bags open towards the seat?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I will say this. My first touring bike was a 2006 RK Custom. Had to be bought back from the dealer because of serious EFI issues. I ended up with a 2006 Street Glide and have been on a fairing bike since. Now that I am back on a RK I have a rekindled appreciation for being able to see the whole road. My first order of business is trying to get the buffeting under control. That is the issue I had with the batwing after my neck surgery. Choppy air hitting me in the chest and neck making for a fatiguing ride. So if it is possible I think when I am back in a position to buy a newer bike I will pick up a RK Standard and give it some Street Glide/CVO flair. Smooth front fender, CVO rear, slant bags, lowers and the full audio set-up from the CVO. Either that or find a garage queen 2013 CVO for a reasonable price.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Hurricane19
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Now that I am back on a RK I have a rekindled appreciation for being able to see the whole road. My first order of business is trying to get the buffeting under control.
See the whole road, man that was my biggest reason for choosing the RK. I test road a streetglide and roadglide and just could not stand the fact I could not see the street in front of me. What buffeting issues are you having with the RK, I assume you are talking about riding with windshield on??

Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
The hard bags open away from the docking hardware so it is impossible to hit it, don't the classic leather bags open towards the seat?
Yes, you are 100% corect. My apologies as I mis-read the original post I replied to. The leather bag lids will make contact w/ the docking hardware if you're not careful.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
See the whole road, man that was my biggest reason for choosing the RK. I test road a streetglide and roadglide and just could not stand the fact I could not see the street in front of me. What buffeting issues are you having with the RK, I assume you are talking about riding with windshield on??

yeah the choppy air coming from below. Hits me right in the chest and neck. I had neck surgery last year and have a titanium plate in my neck. That choppy air kills me. That is why I had t sell my Street Glide and go with a Road Glide Ultra with lowers. No issues. I get the choppy air with a shield. With a 15" and 20". Without a shield I get clean air to the head and chest but that obviously puts a strain on my neck as well. I would like to try lowers on a RK but don't wanna spend that coin id they don't do much to help. I know even with my Ultra Classic with lowers I still got the choppy air coming up between the lowers and fairing. And at my height it hit me right in the neck.

Last edited by Garemlin; 08-22-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
I will pick up a RK Standard and give it some Street Glide/CVO flair. Smooth front fender, CVO rear, slant bags, lowers and the full audio set-up from the CVO. Either that or find a garage queen 2013 CVO for a reasonable price.
I saw a bike like this the other day and it was beautiful. And honestly it looked better that a CVO with its was just Vivid Black. It also had bigger front wheel, but the rest was just as you described. Don't get me wrong, I am a big CVO fan, but this bike looked better with the contrast between the Vivid Black paint and the extra chrome. I'm temped to sell my bike and look for an older RK.

Beary

Quick Reply: Road King or Road King Classic ?