Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Road King Classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Based on my recent searches, the RKC is usually more expensive than the standard RK because of CC & ABS as standard items on those.

I came darn close to getting a Classic, but didn't like the WWW tires and just felt like the hard bags would be better for me and my uses. Very pleased with my decision.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a RK with both cruise and ABS. Get what looks the best to you; you should have no problem finding a std. RK with cruise.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
OneOhFifthRKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a RKC.

I wanted the ABS and cruise. I like the laced wheels and white walls.

I also wanted the hard bags.

Every way I priced it out I could buy a RKC and add hard bags cheaper than I could do the updates from RK to RKC.

Plus I could ride now and buy the hardbags when the funds became available.

Buy the one that calls out to you.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned both and prefer the RK by a small margin, because of the locking hard bags. Something else to consider, if you put a four point docking station on a RKC, you bang up the lids unless you install a kit that limits the opening of the top - darn if you do, darn if you don't.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What a silly question...RKC hands down

Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
I have owned both and prefer the RK by a small margin, because of the locking hard bags. Something else to consider, if you put a four point docking station on a RKC, you bang up the lids unless you install a kit that limits the opening of the top - darn if you do, darn if you don't.
Yes, this. I bought a 4 point and ended up removing it for that reason. Also, the plusher passenger seats will restrict it from opening a bit.

One other thing, the RKC's license plate is above the tail light and attached by 3 bolts, the RK has the license plate below the tail light which I think looks a little nicer.

6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of the other, IMO.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM
103megawatt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good are you at identifying a RK or RKC? Can you tell what I am riding?

I do not like spokes on MY bikes, so I said I will buy the RKC if you put the RK wheels on it. The dealer had no problem making the change on the spot and crediting the price difference. The hard leather RKC bags definitely hold more and can be overstuffed to the point where the strap can be adjusted to the long position and still cover a bulging bag and still secure in place if needed. You might think a lockable bag is better and in some cases it may but I look at it like this.... If someone wants to get into your lockable bag then it will be broken into and cost you a couple hundred dollars for repairs and it probably was empty to begin with. If someone wants to get into my RKC bag they just have to unsnap the bag and not damage it, once inside they will find nothing of value. The valuable stuff stays in my hotel room or on my person when road tripping.

I don't care for the front fender light or the extra wires for it on the RK (only noticed the wires when installing the new handlebars), so I think the RKC front fender has a cleaner appearance. The RKC is going to have all the extras, you can't get a RKC stripped down like you can on a RK so the RKC will be a couple thou more expensive. But if you want a touring bike then cruise and ABS are excellent options for the bike to have anyway.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 103megawatt
How good are you at identifying a RK or RKC? Can you tell what I am riding?

I do not like spokes on MY bikes, so I said I will buy the RKC if you put the RK wheels on it. The dealer had no problem making the change on the spot and crediting the price difference. The hard leather RKC bags definitely hold more and can be overstuffed to the point where the strap can be adjusted to the long position and still cover a bulging bag and still secure in place if needed. You might think a lockable bag is better and in some cases it may but I look at it like this.... If someone wants to get into your lockable bag then it will be broken into and cost you a couple hundred dollars for repairs and it probably was empty to begin with. If someone wants to get into my RKC bag they just have to unsnap the bag and not damage it, once inside they will find nothing of value. The valuable stuff stays in my hotel room or on my person when road tripping.

I don't care for the front fender light or the extra wires for it on the RK (only noticed the wires when installing the new handlebars), so I think the RKC front fender has a cleaner appearance. The RKC is going to have all the extras, you can't get a RKC stripped down like you can on a RK so the RKC will be a couple thou more expensive. But if you want a touring bike then cruise and ABS are excellent options for the bike to have anyway.
Tank badge and fender tip tell me Classic. Seat and bags too of course, but thats easily changable. Nice bike.

Leather bags work best for me, I'd have to leave too much stuff home with plastics.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

For me the choice was reasonably easy. Leather vs. hard bags - Laced wheels vs. solid wheels. I went hard bags vs. leather because they locked and chose to go solid wheels instead of laced because of maintenance. That being said I'm really liking the new Indian Chief Classic. Go figure!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I rolled with the RKC and put hard bags on it. I like the look of the classic and being able to lock the bags.

Quick Reply: Road King or Road King Classic ?