Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 exhaust cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe with more time they couldve kept the bike looking traditional and couldve put that v rod engine in or some type of spin off of the v rod engine. Id rather wait another 5 years and just keep runnin the old air cooled engine which for the most part has stood the test of time

Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
Id like to give the new system the benefit of the doubt but this looks like a joke. U mean Harley couldnt figure out how to take the 120 hp true water cooled v rod engine and shoe horn it into a select Dresser frame. It looks like they worked on this for a year. Dam. Most other bike companies have several prototypes they work off of for several years.First impression is this looks rushed
My guess is they probably want to stay in business. They want to keep the traditional V twin look... trust me

Originally Posted by taconite
What a mess of crap! God idea to run the hot return line over the oil filter, that should help things out?
shouldnt make any difference, a lot of systems utilize a heat exchanger to cool the oil with the coolant water.

Last edited by ynots; 08-20-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Double post

Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
that said H-D shot itself in the foot taking on MV agusta and killing Buell, and certainly could look at using the vrod drivetrain in other frame platforms
Not possible, the V-Rod engine is low torque higher rev engine. It would be like using a Farari engine in a Dodge truck. Touring bikes require a high torque engine that will pull a full loaded dresser up a hill on a hot day in less than 3500 RPMs. Two different engines for two different types of riding.

Now I might agree that Harley needs to start over to build a Vtwin that can handle the EPA reqirements without liquid cooling. Seems Indian has done it.

Beary

Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

If you view the presentation for the 2014 models that Dawg posted, you will find that HD has engineered more maintenance work into the new models. Example: They removed the grease zerk in the steering head neck and now say the neck assembly must be serviced every 25,000 miles and the whole front end has to be disassembled to do the service.

That cooling system looks totally absurd. I thought the red-headed dude looking at it was Opie Taylor with a hat on and glasses for a disguise. Maybe he designed it in Mayberry?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know most of you only pay attention to Harley stuff, however this is the same design that BMW just rolled out for their boxer twin, also this is very similar to the xr1200 sportster's oil cooled heads, the BMW boxer twin previous also had oil cooled heads with the same design.

This is their best option for trying to meet epa regulations and to boost power to try to compete with the higher power figures coming from other brands with liquid cooling, see the #'s that Ducati can pump out of liquid cooled twins.

The vrod engine won't work on a touring bike, too heavy and not enough low end grunt. The design could be revised with different heads and cams but the engine itself it pretty heavy compared to an air cooled twin further raising the weight of the entire bike.

If you don't like the new liquid cooled heads, just think how many useed bikes are going to be hitting the market from the people who want the latest and "greatest".. There will be deals aplenty. THis will be the time to buy a nice low mileage used air cooled bike..

Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

In the pic it looks like that could be a cut away for demo purposes. Notice the orange section on the head.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

There is a lot of plastic on the pump at the bottom of that picture. Of course, automotive radiators have been using plastic ends for years so I guess it could be OK as long as it's out of the path of flying debris.

No more glove boxes, where am I going to stash my 'small items' now?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra103
There is a lot of plastic on the pump at the bottom of that picture. Of course, automotive radiators have been using plastic ends for years so I guess it could be OK as long as it's out of the path of flying debris.

No more glove boxes, where am I going to stash my 'small items' now?
Why in the top of that air vent of course! Bet it will hold a cell phone, a wallet, a bunch of pennies and a condom?

lp

Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmaier
I think all of Jason Wards FCS research proved that oil coolers with fans do little to effectively drop cylinder head temps, while dropping cylinder head temps effectively cools your oil temps. HD may have done better using Jasons FCS on the 2014s!

So 3" 56cfm fan that can not display enough air to move any significant volume of air to displace much BTUs, lets not even factor in air flow around the cylinders heads or piston jugs. The math doesn't add up. His claim that 56cfm worth of ambient air cools as good as doing 80mph down the road which would be equal to 1382cfm out of his 3" fans (also air blowing over the oil cooler exchanging heat); even with the engine turning at 3k rpm going 80mph producing more heat then running at 950 rpm idling still doesn't make the math work. Thats probably why HD didn't use his fan fix.

Quick Reply: 103 exhaust cooling system