Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Engine run cooler after exhaust and tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Engine run cooler after exhaust and tune?

Its seems on a 80 degree plus day I can't get stopped at more then 4 or 5 lights before "parade mode" kicks into full "**** me off" mode. Then you have listen to the ping for the next 20 plus miles on the highway. How much does a exhaust and tune solve this problem on the 103ci or do I need a bigger oil cooler on top of that? I'm thinking of flo-coating the exhaust also to cut down on temps.

I had a 2010 SG with a 96ci and that stock bike didn't run anywhere near as hot as the stock 2013. I got caught in bad traffic several times and never worried about my bike over heating or pinging. I worry about a trip across town on the 2013 and what the high oil temps are doing to my bearings!!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

you can turn off the eitms

although that makes no sense to me, maybe that's something you need.."**** me off" ha.

the eitms is more than just "turn off the rear cylinder"- it also pumps air through that cylinder and that air is now removing alot of heat from the motor. the rear cylinder is used as it always runs hotter than the front- less fresh air flow to the rear

make sure you have a quality motor oil- the old dyno will not stand up to the heat. a quality oil will reduce frictional heat, and will carry heat away from the hottest parts of the motor ( heads and bearings) to be dissipated.

add a fan kit to your oil cooler

adding more gas to the air will cool temps, but within bounds.
an over rich mixture may corrupt the oil, and cause carbon deposits in the combustion chamber resulting in non-stop pinging.

an exhaust without a catalytic converter may allow heat to dissipate quicker

many of us ride in temps much, much warmer than 80º.

thick jeans are better heat protection than thin

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-19-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Get rid of catalytic converter and richen AFR's a little. That should help solve the issue with traffic as much as can be expected. My experience so far, even in 95* Florida heat, is that when moving, the oil cooler is doing the job. My bone stock '13 is hotter than my '05 was, but not that bad. And I'm thinking once I get rid of the catalytic converter and add Xieds, it'll be as cool, or cooler than my '05 was without an oil cooler

Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes a tune and exhaust will cool the motor down if you get full exhaust so that you getting rid of the cat. it makes huge temp difference. will need to change air filter to allow more air in. the performance will be better too

Old 08-19-2013, 12:51 PM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes MK air cooled engines like 13.5 to 13.7:1 AFR for the best head cooling. My question is not how parade mode works (I already now that), its how to get the engine to run cooler and what people have seen with a exhaust swap and tune. The high oil temps that initiate the parade mode are unacceptable. Going down the road at speed is not the problem, stop and go traffic is even if it short lived.

So any one with real experience with this and what have you seen and has it lessened the frequency of the bike going into parade mode on the 103ci engines in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by cotnballs; 08-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very few times has mine went into parade mode once i did my full exhaust. orginally i just did slip ons, tuner and heavy breather. helps some but still kicked in pretty regular. if funds allow just do complete stage one and yo uwill see big change overall in bike

Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 PM
iamrockinrich
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cotnballs
Its seems on a 80 degree plus day I can't get stopped at more then 4 or 5 lights before "parade mode" kicks into full "**** me off" mode.
Mine does the same thing. I have a complete stage one setup. My bike is running at around 218 degrees in stop and go and yet my parade mode kicks in too. I don't think my bike is running hot. I can ride with other people with the same motor and they never go into parade mode. I wonder if there is a setting for when the parade mode kicks in and mine is set too low.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by iamrockinrich
Mine does the same thing. I have a complete stage one setup. My bike is running at around 218 degrees in stop and go and yet my parade mode kicks in too. I don't think my bike is running hot. I can ride with other people with the same motor and they never go into parade mode. I wonder if there is a setting for when the parade mode kicks in and mine is set too low.
Where are you getting the 218 degree temp from? Is that a reading coming from the sensor in the front head?

Old 11-30-2013, 02:17 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the CAT and some good slip on's cooled mine down a lot.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 AM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine has full stage1 with dyno and programmer. It gets hot and kicks into parade mode in stop and go traffic as well. I'm considering wards fans as a solution. Check them out.

Quick Reply: 2013 Engine run cooler after exhaust and tune?