Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Valve extender

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tire Valve extender

Rear tire air valve on my RKC is very difficult for me to access, even if I screw on the hose extension. With the saddle bags removed I still have a hard time getting a hand in place to attach the adapter or even remove and re install the valve cap. These are the spoked wheels ( believe they are tube tires).

Anyone else using 90 degree valve extensions successfully? Guessing I'd need teflon tape and maybe locktite to avoid leaks. But even though I assume the extenders are fairly light weight I was also wondering if this would create a problem with the wheel balance?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:47 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a metal 90* screw-on valve extension on the rear of my UC. It's the only way I can check the air. I just leave it screwed on.

Ride Safe

David

Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

balance can be a concern, even more so, the hazard should a piece of debris hit the valve stem on the hiway.
instant flat tire.

think about a nitrogen tire fill, nitrogen molecules are larger and will keep the tire at a more constant pressure

mike

Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Balance is fine. The extension has been there 18,000 miles. No problems.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KYBill
Rear tire air valve on my RKC is very difficult for me to access, even if I screw on the hose extension. With the saddle bags removed I still have a hard time getting a hand in place to attach the adapter or even remove and re install the valve cap. These are the spoked wheels ( believe they are tube tires).

Anyone else using 90 degree valve extensions successfully? Guessing I'd need teflon tape and maybe locktite to avoid leaks. But even though I assume the extenders are fairly light weight I was also wondering if this would create a problem with the wheel balance?
I think you need to get down and try it. Hose extension works great. Don't even have to remove saddlebag. Did you actually try it? Not seeing a problem unless physically you can't bend down. Hate to be a dick but this is a two minute job on a rkc with the Harley extension.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I have an SG, but getting to the valves was a major PITA. I had the 90's installed the last time I had the tires changed and checking & filling is SOOO much easier now. I'd definitely recommend them.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
I think you need to get down and try it. Hose extension works great. Don't even have to remove saddlebag. Did you actually try it? Not seeing a problem unless physically you can't bend down. Hate to be a dick but this is a two minute job on a rkc with the Harley extension.
As I stated in my original post, i can barely fit my hand to get to the nut. And yes, I have severe degenerative arthritus in my lower back and both knees, so bending is a problem. I did need to remove the saddlebag and I was finally able to get the HD hose extension on and was able to check pressure and add the one pound it was down in pressure. Ten minutes, back of hand bruised up from squeezing it in between things and knees went to hell for the remainder of the day. So while I can get it done, its beyond a PIA meaning it won't likely be checked as often as it should unless I can find a solution. It appears the 90 degree valve extension might be a viable start. I'm also planning to get a lift jack to make this and cleaning easier.

Maybe its worse because of the spokes wheels. All I can tell you is the service manager at my dealer is reasonably fit, he was laying on the shop floor cursing the damn thing at least 10 minutes trying to add air to my rear tire. Poor design, should have a 90 from the factory.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KYBill
As I stated in my original post, i can barely fit my hand to get to the nut. And yes, I have severe degenerative arthritus in my lower back and both knees, so bending is a problem. I did need to remove the saddlebag and I was finally able to get the HD hose extension on and was able to check pressure and add the one pound it was down in pressure. Ten minutes, back of hand bruised up from squeezing it in between things and knees went to hell for the remainder of the day. So while I can get it done, its beyond a PIA meaning it won't likely be checked as often as it should unless I can find a solution. It appears the 90 degree valve extension might be a viable start. I'm also planning to get a lift jack to make this and cleaning easier.

Maybe its worse because of the spokes wheels. All I can tell you is the service manager at my dealer is reasonably fit, he was laying on the shop floor cursing the damn thing at least 10 minutes trying to add air to my rear tire. Poor design, should have a 90 from the factory.
With any kind of movement restriction I can see how it would be a pita. It's easy for me even though my back and knees are not liking the position I need to be in to do it. Also it does require finger dexterity. If your fingers a twisted a bit as we all get later in life it makes it more of a challenge. Before the Harley extension, it literally took me an hour to top off the air. Now five minutes.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 90 degree extender that I remove when not in use. I also bought a Slime tire inflator from Auto Zone so I can fill up at home. It's so much nicer that way.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have these angled stems from motorcycle anchor and love them.

oops, just reread the OP and that you are with spokes...these will not work.

Quick Reply: Tire Valve extender