Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB radio not transmitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Default CB radio not transmitting

Currently own a 2011 Ultra. Been riding an Ultra for a number of years and never really used the CB. The last trip I went on, thought it might be fun to use the CB and work on my material (i.e. jokes) with one of my riding partners. Turns out I was able to hear him, but he couldn't hear me. So, basically I'm able to receive but not transmit.

I get home, open up the service manuals and immediately notice two things.

1. According to the service manual, the CB antenna is supposed to be on the right and the AM/FM antenna is supposed to be on the left. On my bike, it is backwards. The antenna on the left says "CB" on the base, and the antenna on the right says "AM/FM" on the base.

2. The parts manual has different part numbers for the two antennas, so I assume even though they look the same, there is some internal difference.

I'd like to switch the antennas around, but I'm not sure how to remove them. Does the antenna just unscrew from the base? I tried to unscrew it, but it seemed very tight and I didn't want to break it. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of set screw, like the antennas on my previous 2004 Ultra.

Any help/advice as to how one removes the antenna is appreciated.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Bugsy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just unscrew. They're quite snug on my 2012 and don't move very easily. I guess this keeps them from vibrating off as I ride.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,442 Posts

MY '07 Ultra has a set screw that needs to be loosened and THEN unscrewed.......its a very small allen screw.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:59 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have tried to transmit very much with the wrong antenna in place, the final transistors may be blown which would result in a failure to transmit. It is an easy fix and I have friend that can do it if you decide it needs it.....pm me.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They just unscrew from the base. I have already had to replace mine because the stinking tip fell off, lmao....

Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Used a little more brute force and was able to get the antennas unscrewed and off their mounting post. The problem was that the base of the antennas and the mounting post were rusted and I'm guessing bonded together.
Unfortunately, I ruined the CB antenna in the process. The fastener internal to the CB antenna started to break free from the antenna itself. Looks like I'll need to purchase a new one.
This is just another case of a dealer performing a ****-poor PDI (predelivery setup and inspection) and my fault for not actually testing every available feature of the bike while it was still under warranty.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i fired mine up the other day....finally, for the first time on my year old bike. i get a lot of motor noise. works fine if not running (receive anyway) but a lot of noise. from my previous experience with CBs, it sounds like plugs or wires...or both. anything i can do to reduce it? i know you can get resister plugs for a car, but wonder about switching out the plugs on the bike.....not trying to hyjack, just thought i'd throw in a question about CBs too

Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

You can find them on Ebay. Some guys think they are too long and somehow take away from the looks of their bikes so they remove them.

To answer your other question about why the antennas are different...the CB antenna is designed to operate in the 26-27 MHz band. The AM/FM antenna is designed to operate in two totally unrelated bands (.55 to 1.7 MHz on AM and 88 to 107 MHz on FM). I have tried two different CB antennas and measured reflected power, both suck. At 26-27 Mhz, you really need a quarter wave whip that is about 104 inches long for decent feedpoint impedance and radiation efficiency. But because of "style over function" that ain't happening on a Harley. So the antenna you have has a coil in the bottom that electrically "lengthens" the antenna to adjust resonance close to the operating frequency. But it still falls short in many ways.

The power output into a 50 ohm purely resistive load for the Midland radios on our HDs is around 2 watts. So if you have feedline and/or antenna problems (such as a poorly tuned antenna), the circuitry in the CB unit will decrease the power output to protect the final power transistor. In my case, the power is reduced to about one watt because of the crappy antenna.

It's possible to insert a small LC circuit to adjust impedance the transceiver sees, but not many will go that route because they just don't use the CB enough to warrant the aggravation. Plus it will do nothing to change the poor radiation properties of the antenna itself.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
You can find them on Ebay. Some guys think they are too long and somehow take away from the looks of their bikes so they remove them.

To answer your other question about why the antennas are different...the CB antenna is designed to operate in the 26-27 MHz band. The AM/FM antenna is designed to operate in two totally unrelated bands (.55 to 1.7 MHz on AM and 88 to 107 MHz on FM). I have tried two different CB antennas and measured reflected power, both suck. At 26-27 Mhz, you really need a quarter wave whip that is about 104 inches long for decent feedpoint impedance and radiation efficiency. But because of "style over function" that ain't happening on a Harley. So the antenna you have has a coil in the bottom that electrically "lengthens" the antenna to adjust resonance close to the operating frequency. But it still falls short in many ways.

The power output into a 50 ohm purely resistive load for the Midland radios on our HDs is around 2 watts. So if you have feedline and/or antenna problems (such as a poorly tuned antenna), the circuitry in the CB unit will decrease the power output to protect the final power transistor. In my case, the power is reduced to about one watt because of the crappy antenna.

It's possible to insert a small LC circuit to adjust impedance the transceiver sees, but not many will go that route because they just don't use the CB enough to warrant the aggravation. Plus it will do nothing to change the poor radiation properties of the antenna itself.
I'd hate to see a 104" whip on a HD. Had one on my Jeep and needed to tie it down so it wasn't whipping around and hitting things in the Jeep when I was off-road and/or had the top off. Even when I didn't have it tied down though, a 4' Firestick worked just as well as the 104" whip due to the lack of a decent ground plane on an open top Jeep.

On the bike, the decision to not use a 104" whip is definitely not a style issue: To put it in perspective, the overall length of a 2011 FLHTCU is 98.6".

Last edited by Mike_M; 08-18-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Great information, thank you! I do have another question in regards to the load coil. Does a 2009+ model year bike have a load coil? I don't see one in the tour-pak and based on the below instruction sheet, I'm not sure there is one. If there isn't one, how is the antenna being electrically lengthened?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04773.pdf

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe

Quick Reply: CB radio not transmitting