Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotune target AFR question (HQ-0034 cams)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autotune target AFR question (HQ-0034 cams)

Hey guys. Here's the setup. 2004 Road King, S&S air cleaner, MGS true duals, HQ-0034 cams, stock pistons/heads, Power Commander V with auto tune currently with a Fuelmoto map using their target AFR values.
The AFR targets range from 13.8:1-12.9:1. The bike runs decent, but when I get home, my garage reeks of gas. I sent Head Quarters(cam manufacturer) an email asking for advice. They responded saying those values were way too rich and would drastically accelerate engine wear, and that 14.7 is optimum in cruise range, and I should be no richer than 13.6:1 at WOT.
I then called Fuelmoto to talk to them about it, and they are supposed to be emailing me a leaned out AFR table, but I haven't got it yet.
I remember when I bought these cams, the guy(who is no longer affiliated with HQ) told me that when tuning the bike, these cams like to be a little leaner than what you might normally expect due to the asymmetrical lobe design or some technical detail. It kinda went over my head the time.
I would think that those who build and tune these cams should know what they are talking about, and the stench in my garage definitely screams rich, I am just hesitant to go too lean and damage something. I know these bikes are leaner than that stock, but you know what I mean. Anyone have any experience tuning in that AFR range that could share any insight. Even more specifically, anyone tune a bike with Head-Quarters cams? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer

Can't speak to your HQ cams but the AFR's you note are similar to what I got from FM for my set-up - rich. I modified my AFR's to 13.8 at WOT ( which is seldom and short lived) to 14.2 for riding RPM. Based my initial tables of IClicks post. Immediately took care of the gas leaking stinch and the bike was much more responsive. IMO 14.7 is pretty lean and more in line with what you would see from a strict EPA compliant MOCO tune. A little more fuel makes the bike happier.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:10 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Is the fuel smell coming from the pipes or from the vapor vent tube on the left side of the bike??? If I pull in with less then 1/2 tank of fuel, the gasoline smell is pretty bad for several hours.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 PM
skully1200
Road Master

I can't say exactly where the smell is coming from. I do know that it just started when I installed the auto tune with the rich AFR. I also installed the new exhaust at that same time. Had Vance and Hines before. I'm pretty sure the smell is related to the tune. I'll lean it out some and see what happens.
Gary, when you say the bike got more responsive with the leaner AFR, do you mean compared to the rich FM map or just compared to stock?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer

Originally Posted by skully1200
Gary, when you say the bike got more responsive with the leaner AFR, do you mean compared to the rich FM map or just compared to stock?
Only ran the bike with stock tune (no tuner) when I had stage 1 AC- it ran okay but was weak in some rpm ranges and was hot hot hot. I think the AFR's were mid to upper 14's. When I added the pipes and cams I added the PCV but not the AT. Got the MAP from FM with the PCV. The bike lacked responsiveness in some ranges like it was getting too much fuel and had a strong fuel smell after riding. those AFR's were all in the 13's. then I decided to add the AT so I could create and monitor the AFR tables. As they sit now they go from 0 - 13.8 - 14 - 14.2 - 14.2 - 14 - 13.8 - 13.6 - 13.6 ( zero % throttle to 100%) for the front cylinder with the rear a tad richer. Now the bike is strong across the all gears, not hot and no fuel smell. I check my trims every few months just to see what they look like and they are always low single digit. Mid to low 40's mpg city and low 50's highway. The AT made a huge difference in overall performance - way better than the stock (no tuner) and base PCV tune.

Last edited by RoadGlideGary; 08-17-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
skully1200
Road Master

Thanks Gary. Much appreciated.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadGlideGary
Only ran the bike with stock tune (no tuner) when I had stage 1 AC- it ran okay but was weak in some rpm ranges and was hot hot hot. I think the AFR's were mid to upper 14's. When I added the pipes and cams I added the PCV but not the AT. Got the MAP from FM with the PCV. The bike lacked responsiveness in some ranges like it was getting too much fuel and had a strong fuel smell after riding. those AFR's were all in the 13's. then I decided to add the AT so I could create and monitor the AFR tables. As they sit now they go from 0 - 13.8 - 14 - 14.2 - 14.2 - 14 - 13.8 - 13.6 - 13.6 ( zero % throttle to 100%) for the front cylinder with the rear a tad richer. Now the bike is strong across the all gears, not hot and no fuel smell. I check my trims every few months just to see what they look like and they are always low single digit. Mid to low 40's mpg city and low 50's highway. The AT made a huge difference in overall performance - way better than the stock (no tuner) and base PCV tune.
Your saying your bike was/is getting over 50mpg on the highway???? I'm struggling to get 40mpg combo city/highway. Bike's running strong and no heat, so I guess I can't have everything....

Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I like to run cruise at about 14.45 (.981 Lambda). That keeps my mileage reasonable, and there's no point in running any richer.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 AM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Your saying your bike was/is getting over 50mpg on the highway???? I'm struggling to get 40mpg combo city/highway. Bike's running strong and no heat, so I guess I can't have everything....
Yep never below 43 in the city. Altitude here could have a lot to do with it. Seems like many riders at lower elevation report lower MPG.