Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)

***Pics in this post to illustrate***

Just completed a custom exhaust job that took a lot more time/effort than anticipated but was TOTALLY worth it! I think I took enough pics and recorded enough part #'s/info to make it much easier for anyone else who decides to follow in my footsteps.

I started off deciding I wanted TD's to cool down the right and for sound reasons. Only thing that had slowed me down was loosing power compared to my 2-1-2's. So after all the talk about MGS and b/c the front pipe stayed straight the whole length, I went for them. Honestly, I have no reason to believe these headers are any different from the original Rineharts/Bubs, except they don't have that bend in the middle of the front pipe.

I also wanted them loud and as deep as possible. I called BCT since I used them previously with great results and talked with one of their engineers named Jim. Think he might even own BCT but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, I told him I had Bub 7 slip-ons with their QQ's but always wished it was a little deeper. He said if I really wanted the best exhaust I could put a graduating straight pipe where the original baffle was and I was intrigued. So we talked. That is what he has done on his. I chewed on it and decided to go for it.

He said to buy a bunch of exhaust adapters and put them together. That it would work best if you slowly graduated the exhaust diameter. So off to NAPA I went and they let me go back and play with their exhaust so I could piece things together. Here are the p/n's I ended up with:
→41949
→41958
→41966
→41974
→41970
→41890

These were all "in-stock" pieces at my NAPA, except the last one, which is a 3"OD- 4"OD. That piece was special order but they just happened to have two in-stock for a canceled special order. Lucky me! So put them together, measured total length, measured how long the original baffle was, decided where to cut, how much to cut, and double checked everything. For me the lengths ended up being:
→3.5"@2" diameter
→5.5"@2.5" diameter
→6"@3" diameter
→5" @4" diameter

I had to take the two 41949's down to an exhaust shop and have them flared, b/c that is how the original baffles secure to the cans.

The biggest hurdle was the fact that my last piece ends in 4" OD and the cans are also 4" OD. Obviously this won't work. I'd have loved to buy 3 7/8's OD but it doesn't exist. Or 3 3/4 ID but that doesn't exist either. Soooo...I cut straight down the whole length of the 4" section 4 times like a plus sign, thinking I could use a 4" muffler clamp to squeeze it. Nope. Didn't squeeze so well and the clamp didn't do it evenly. So I did 4 more slits for a total of 8 and used hose clamps instead. I did 2 clamps on each one at the diameter I needed and took it down to the exhaust shop so they could weld. Then of course removed the hose clamps. Wish I owned a welder, but I don't.

Another hurdle involved thinking ahead on how I would ever remove a baffle (straight pipe) that was the same exact diameter as the cans. I installed 3/8 Grade 8 bolts through the 3" section as close to the end as I could. Used Red Loctite of course. I called Jim back to inquire if this would have any adverse effects and he said no. He said it would likely have no effect, but if any it would be a positive effect.

I finished it up by filling the empty space between the pipe and the cans with insulation to remove higher pitched sounds, and used some exhaust wrap here and there to make sure everything is tight and make sure no metal could vibrate against each other.

BCT QQ's are at the exit of the head pipes for back pressure.

The sound is amaaaaaaazing!!!

Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)-graduting-pipe-pre-weld.jpg

Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)-side-view-slit-pipe.jpg

Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)-looking-down-slits-in-pipe.jpg

Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)-looking-down-slits-in-pipe-ii.jpg

More pics in next post...

Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're waiting on the edge of our seats....

Nice write up

Last edited by Glockmeister; 08-17-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Oh, and a note to anyone doing TD's like these with frame mounted heat shields like the ones that come stock on Ultras: Ya gotta cut into it. In hindsight I coulda done a little better than this, but this is how mine ended up:

Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)-heat-shield-front.jpg

Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)-heat-shield-back.jpg

Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Here is what I bought to remove the MGS baffles and what I will use to remove this pipe if needed. Actually I already had to remove it once. I don't know how I lived w/o this tool. This thing is flippin' awesome!!!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:16 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

As far as the MGS header pipes, it is obvious looking at them that the three sections get larger as they move away from the head. They are not a straight pipe with the same inside diameters. If you meant something else, please forgive me....

Old 08-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
As far as the MGS header pipes, it is obvious looking at them that the three sections get larger as they move away from the head. They are not a straight pipe with the same inside diameters. If you meant something else, please forgive me....
Did you see the pictures??? I am not referring to the headers at all, except to say that I installed MGS headers. Yes, the MGS headers are of a stepped design. When I refer to a graduating straight pipe I am talking about the sections of pipe I put together/created/fab'ed inside the cans (mufflers) to replace the baffle the MGS's came with. I call it straight pipe b/c it has no holes like a baffle does. I could have called it a stepped muffler insert using solid pipe?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:44 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Did you see the pictures??? I am not referring to the headers at all, except to say that I installed MGS headers. Yes, the MGS headers are of a stepped design. When I refer to a graduating straight pipe I am talking about the sections of pipe I put together/created/fab'ed inside the cans (mufflers) to replace the baffle the MGS's came with. I call it straight pipe b/c it has no holes like a baffle does. I could have called it a stepped muffler insert using solid pipe?
Duh, should have looked at the pictures first......

Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Whoa Jeff, that looks like quite the project! Glad to hear you were able to get it all wrapped up too. Nicely done!

Did you have the MGS exhaust already installed, or is this the first you installed it? I'm curious what you think about the power losses/gains.

How loud is the exhaust now? Any chance you might be able to post up a short video clip?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Whoa Jeff, that looks like quite the project! Glad to hear you were able to get it all wrapped up too. Nicely done!

Did you have the MGS exhaust already installed, or is this the first you installed it? I'm curious what you think about the power losses/gains.

How loud is the exhaust now? Any chance you might be able to post up a short video clip?
I've never done a video clip b4, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Seems like there is too many variables to tell you much. Quality of recording, how far away, recording level, playback level, etc. Although depth of sound will probably get relayed and that is likely most important. So I'll work on that.

I did not install the MGS ahead of time. I didn't want the down time or the extra install/dismantle time. Plus I had to have a can torn apart to work the project. Sorry I can't compare for people who have, or have heard, MGS exhaust.

I really noticed no difference in power except approaching 90. I feel the new exhaust might be petering out maybe 10 mph sooner. Which really is not where I thought I would notice a difference. If anything that is where I might've expected an improvement.

Volume? Scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being loudest. Straight pipe no baffle would be a 10. Thinking MGS regular/Rineharts to be about 5 or 6? These are probably an 8. Reeeeally deep though. The deepest loud is what I was going for and I nailed it.

Quick Reply: Custom graduating straight pipe baffles w/ MGS & BCT (PICS)