Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Rain Gear that dont take up much saddlebag room

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Rain Gear that dont take up much saddlebag room

Looking for a good set of rain gear that works and doesnt take alot of room in the saddle bags when folded up. I checked out Frog Toggs but they seem really cheap. Every review I read someone spoke about splitting seams. Ive also read they arent heat resistant whatsover and melt to exhaust pipes upon immediate contact. Anyone know about Nelson Riggs? How do they fold up? I hear the Harley brand stuff is pretty good but comes with a heavy price tag..by the way does anyone know what company makes the Harley gear for them? Everyone knows when HD goes on something the price goes up 10X even if the product was made in a Chinese sweat shop..Any ideas appreciated

Last edited by Jersey_Marine; 08-16-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I bought the Blauer Police rain pants. Very well made, but I did burn a hole in them. I have a First Gear rain jacket that folds into its own stuff sack, about 5" in diameter.
http://www.squadfitters.com/catalog/...cle-rain-pants

Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I have frogg toggs and a tourmaster 2 piece rain suit.

Frogg Toggs are an excellent 'one hour' rain suit. Rain will soak through after a while, but they feel more comfortable while wearing because they are light and they breath just a little. They are also very easy on and off, even with boots on. They aren't the most durable though. Mine take a beating, as I also ride dual-sport bikes, and they are holding up better than expected but still are showing their age quickly.

My tour master stuff has been great. My set is about 5 or 6 years old. The zipper on the jacket came apart last year but the velcro is good enough that it doesn't matter. As long as you put in on correctly it will not leak. After 2 or 3 hard hours of rain the worst I'll get is a little V-shaped water spot on the front of my shirt.

I've never had Harley branded riding gear. I buy all of my gear from either the internet or a metric dealership. I own a Yamaha and a Kawasaki also, so normally I'm in there anyways.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't waste your coin on the Frog Togs. I had two pair and burned the right leg off both sets of pants. Just nasty and terribly hard to get the residue off the pipes. Opted for the HD rain gear that folds up into the hood. Cost was between $85.00 and $100.00 each set. Makes a ball about the size of a large softball. Two drawbacks that I see are that the suit, it needs to be nearly 100% dry before you fold it back up into the hood and the suit that I have has velcro on the lower legs and it sometimes comes undone and the legs flop around a bit. Have also worn it as a wind break and it works VERY well for that also. Have a set for the wife too and she sems to like hers as well. I would rate their product probably 95 of 100. I like it.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I second the HD rain gear that folds into the hood......I don't plan to make 1,000 miles ride in the rain.....but if I get caught, I have a good one....and it is super small

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The Harley FXRG rain gear is pretty good stuff. Pricey but good. The jacket has a removable insulated liner which lets it pack down very small for summer months.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My wifes Harley rain suit I roll up and use velcro straps around it and it fits nicely in the channels at the bottom of the bag it is almost like it doesn't take any space at all

Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

I've got a Tour Master rain suit and it works well ... I've had this one for about 6 years and it's still in pretty good shape ... The Ol Gal has an HD suit and they both fit in the bag with plenty of room to spare for other stuff.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Just some advice, make sure you know how it goes on before you need it.....Example, I never put on the HD rain pants that came with my suit and I had the set for about 4 years....Had to use it the first time a few weeks ago and didn't realize the pants have zippers & velcro closures so you do not have to remove your boots before putting them on... I realized that after I had my boots off sitting under an overpass in the rain....

Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Just some advice, make sure you know how it goes on before you need it.....Example, I never put on the HD rain pants that came with my suit and I had the set for about 4 years....Had to use it the first time a few weeks ago and didn't realize the pants have zippers & velcro closures so you do not have to remove your boots before putting them on... I realized that after I had my boots off sitting under an overpass in the rain....
"HDV-GLIDE" has some good advice ... and be sure to try them on for fit with your other riding gear on before you purchase them ... Some sets are extremely difficult to put on while on the side of road in the rain ... Just my .02 cents worth.

Quick Reply: Help with Rain Gear that dont take up much saddlebag room