Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers Only

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM
RatPwrd72
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Mufflers Only

I understand this has been covered a gazillion times, but I need to run through it once more....

My '13 Street Glide is 100% stock and runs just fine, averaging 45 mpg's. What it's missing is a little exhaust note. I like the look, sound and price of the FuelMoto Jackpot 4" mufflers. Talk to me about changing only the mufflers and leaving the intake/map stock. Am I leaving power on the table? How much?

I intend to leave the CAT in for now, what other mufflers do you suggest I consider? I like the deeper sound and don't want to ruin my tunes while cruising.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

youll be fine with just slip on change. if you do slip ons and air cleaner change then yes you will have to remap. either dealer stg1 down load or buy a quality tuner. getting rid of the cat will give you a deeper tone to the exhaust along with your slip ons.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Call Fuel Moto and ask them. They make the slip-ons and know a lot about tuning. There is no substitute for a proper tune even if ya do no mods at all imho. I really like my Fatshotz for both power and quite sound. Radio rocks!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The options are limitless. bgdv1 answered it best. But for further techie explanations, Jamie and the guys at FM are awesome. Go to a bike night or a charity run to hear other bikes and see what you like.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
RatPwrd72
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys, looks like I need to give Jamie a call and spend some money.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RatPwrd72
I understand this has been covered a gazillion times, but I need to run through it once more....

My '13 Street Glide is 100% stock and runs just fine, averaging 45 mpg's. What it's missing is a little exhaust note. I like the look, sound and price of the FuelMoto Jackpot 4" mufflers. Talk to me about changing only the mufflers and leaving the intake/map stock. Am I leaving power on the table? How much?

I intend to leave the CAT in for now, what other mufflers do you suggest I consider? I like the deeper sound and don't want to ruin my tunes while cruising.

Of course your leaving power on the table
How much is open for debate though. Probably not a whole lot though.

If your happy overall with the bike now, just slip ons are fine and nothing else is needed.
I did slip ons only on my Street Glide, and was perfectly happy for 2 years.
This year I decided I wanted a little more sound, so went with V&H header pipes.
I also wanted to change the A/C, so did a tune then too.

Just keep in mind that with mufflers only, and leaving the factory head pipe with CAT in place, you won't get much louder than stock.
Some yes, but not a lot.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went the opposite route, decatted head pipe only.Sounds a little nicer than stock and throws out a bit less heat no remap stock AC bike runs fine.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:30 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Call Fuel Moto and ask them. They make the slip-ons and know a lot about tuning. There is no substitute for a proper tune even if ya do no mods at all imho. I really like my Fatshotz for both power and quite sound. Radio rocks!
I once again find myself in agreement. A proper tue will make the bike run and sound better. The 4" Jackpots are great mufflers, but I really, really like the Fatshotz. They're neighbor and stereo friendly, and they have the EPA stamp, so you'll never get hassled about them.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on the bike. Each one is different. I also was a believer in the theory that if you only change the slip-on, then you're good to go without a tune.

I found out that isn't always true. Especially if the mufflers are extra free flowing, by design or by taking the baffles out. With the baffles out of the first mufflers I tried (American Custom. Where they remove the baffles out of stock mufflers and weld in their own system which can easily be used with or without baffles). Without baffles, I got a BUNCH of decel pop and lost some low range torque and high range power. Put in their mid-rumble baffles, and that stopped the pop and gained the HP back. With my V&H Monster Rounds, with baffles (still louder than stock, but not as loud as being baffle-less, but with nice deep rumble) I still got an occasional pop. Had the dealership do their stage 1 download (much cheaper than a tuner) and all is good in the universe. Gained some power, running a tad cooler, no more pop, and gained a couple mpgs out of it too.

So it just depends on the mufflers, and the individual bike. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM
bg1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This month I put on the 4" Rinehart slip ons only - runs great, sounds great, no pop on decel.
Next month the tuner & intake will go on to wake it up. Sooner or later the cats will go.
It is fine with just slip ons but you just know in the back of your mind that you're leaving something on the table until you do the rest!

Quick Reply: Mufflers Only