Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration When Brakes Activated-Anyone Have This?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:12 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration When Brakes Activated-Anyone Have This?

'09 Streetglide with ABS. At idle, when bike is standing still, when I pull front brake caliper I get a slight vibration throughout the bike. Immediately stops when release the caliper. Same thing when I depress the rear brake pedal. Stops when I lift my foot.

Anyone experienced this issue on their bikes? Trying to troubleshoot.

The following users liked this post:
Jayvee1 (07-08-2021)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
bbs15
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 Streetglide, I have the exact same thing. Just doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to know if it's normal. I also feel it when I roll off throttle and begin to brake to a stop. It's irritating and would be good to know if it's something that should be looked into, or if this is normal behavior for an ABS bike. I did not experience this on my last non-ABS bike.

Jayvee1 (07-08-2021)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:26 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Its normal.
I noticed it when I first got my bike.
The vibration from the engine is transmitted through the whole bike including the front wheel which moves back and forth a little.
As soon as you apply front brake the vibration can't work itself through the wheel to the ground and starts to shake the whole bike. Release brake it stops.
I know this is a **** poor explanation but it is normal.

Jayvee1 (07-08-2021)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
Its normal.
I noticed it when I first got my bike.
The vibration from the engine is transmitted through the whole bike including the front wheel which moves back and forth a little.
As soon as you apply front brake the vibration can't work itself through the wheel to the ground and starts to shake the whole bike. Release brake it stops.
I know this is a **** poor explanation but it is normal.
Agree with above. It has nothing to do with ABS. It happens with regular brakes as well.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

Totally normal, Happens just as booch said. Nothing more than the vibration being transmitted from motor to the wheels to the rest of the bike via the breaks, movement of the motor and the bouncing effect of the wheels. This is common on all Touring bikes and Dyna's. Not on Softails as the counterbalanced motor eliminates allot of it.

Finally figured out why my girl is always asking that I hold the front breaks when we stop.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Yes, it is normal.

With the front brake released, sitting at idle notice the vibration (A V-Twin like Harley is going to vibrate, just the way it is.).

Now when you apply the brake, that vibration is transferred up through the forks to the handlebars.
You didn't notice it so much before, because your front wheel was somewhat isolated from it.
With the brake applied, it is now a more solid part of the rest of the bike.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

It sounds like y'all need the glide-pro system! I had nasty vibration on my 08 SG at idle. I changed out the front motor mount (without the rest of the system) and the difference was HUGE. I still have some vibration, but I think it kinda looks bad-*** at stop lights.

http://glide-pro.com/glide-pro.html

Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,054 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
It sounds like y'all need the glide-pro system! I had nasty vibration on my 08 SG at idle. I changed out the front motor mount (without the rest of the system) and the difference was HUGE. I still have some vibration, but I think it kinda looks bad-*** at stop lights.

http://glide-pro.com/glide-pro.html
For that kinda money I could live with a whole lot more vibration!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

My bike does it too. Sitting at a stop light/sign and holding the front brake lever you can feel the engine vibration coming up from the front forks and through the handlebars. In this case "It is normal". Two cylinder V-twin engines naturally puts out more vibs at low speed. If you think that it bad, you should have been around before they started using all the anti vibrations mounts etc. Back then they would damn near vibrate the fillings out of your teeth.

Quick Reply: Vibration When Brakes Activated-Anyone Have This?