Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag locks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 PM
bspencer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebag locks.

I just realized that one of my locks on my 08 Street Glide has come apart on my and I can no longer lock that saddlebag. Before I go and order a new set of locks I though I'd throw it out there to see if anyone on the board has some take off parts. Hoping not to have to drop 50$ and carry another key. I am only missing the part tab that pivots to actually do the locking and a nut to secure it.

Thanks

Brian

Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

When you order a new lock, dealer takes your key # and new lock is keyed to match and you get 2 extra keys. Key # is under the black rubber on your key. You'll get 2 replacement locks so you will have a spare, they come in pairs.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

the parts should have fallen into the saddlebag- did you look?

painting nail polish over the screwheads on the hinges and the nut on the lock are a good idea

mike

Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM
berwick7
6th Gear

I was in to the dealer last week and he ordered me a single key from the ID# tab. Then, he showed me where the same # is found on the key. You can likely get a single lock, too.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:49 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 189 Posts

I just repaired both of mine today. Halfway through a 500 mile on Saturday I opened the right saddle bag. The nut, spring, and locking tab fell onto the ground. They don't fall into the bag as they're mounted on the outside. I just closed up the bag but couldn't lock it. Today I removed the nylon strap off the lid and put the lock back together. I checked the other side and it was 1 thread away from falling off.

To the OP, look here:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Search for saddlebag assembly in the OEM parts finder.

Last edited by White Ice; 08-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
1Felix1
Advanced

Same thing happened to me. The nut and lever fell on to the garage floor. I checked the other bag and all was well there. In stead of ordering the $100 part I decided to make my own. Just found some similar metal. Removed the lever from my other bag and traced it out. A few minutes later I had a new piece an the bag locks again. Simple fix.... Zero Harley bucks.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Felix1
Same thing happened to me. The nut and lever fell on to the garage floor. I checked the other bag and all was well there. In stead of ordering the $100 part I decided to make my own. Just found some similar metal. Removed the lever from my other bag and traced it out. A few minutes later I had a new piece an the bag locks again. Simple fix.... Zero Harley bucks.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM
bspencer
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately they didn't fall into bag. Locking them wasn't a big deal till I moved into apartment and the wife got to keep the garage. I guess I will try the dealer other option is to new keyed locks on ebay.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bspencer
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately they didn't fall into bag. Locking them wasn't a big deal till I moved into apartment and the wife got to keep the garage. I guess I will try the dealer other option is to new keyed locks on ebay.
friend of mine got some latch's and locks off e-bay and I won't say they are junk but you do get what you pay for , ok they are junk , at least the ones he bought

Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 PM
waltz4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lock help

I suggest taking both locks off and going to a locksmith. I bet he can dig into a drawer full of used parts and come out with a locking tab and screw in less than 5 minutes. Probably will not even charge you. If so, It would be worth $5 or $10 just to have that piece of mind. Good luck

Quick Reply: Saddlebag locks.