Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by gjetson
How many of you had this happen more than once? I know the mech at the shop said that it might not every happen again, but then he also said that it could become more frequint.
This is one of the times I would have to agree with the mechanic. The problem started back in the 2008 model year touring bikes and is probably one of the most common things the shops looks at. My bike used to do it a couple of times a year. I finally got tired of jacking with it and pulled the ECM plug out and put quite a bit of die electric grease in there using a Q Tip. Then after plugging it back in I took some good electrical tape and taped it in place as tight as I could. The last thing I did and probably the most important was to stretch the ECM cable as much as I could. They make those things really short to save money and they have a tendency to pull out or vibrate just enough to break the connection, which then puts it into limp dingus mode and throws varying codes. These things don't cost much to try and in my case they worked.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This happened to my bike when it was still new also, they ended up replacing the connetors behind the air cleaner with the gold pins and a new throttle grip sensor. That fixed mine, too em a week to figure it out, they gave me a rental RG FREE, woohooo... Anyway, I have also read here in these hallowed pages to trace the wiring harness from that connector and loosen/cut the first zip tie you come across because it is putting pressure on that connector, that along with vibration is what is messing up the wires inside the harness, they guy said after he did that, no more limp mode because of this. One of the first things I do when I get back is to find that zip tie, get rid of it or loosen it, pull more slack in the harness. Mine has not had an issue since the gold pin fix but I wanna be proactive to keep it from happening again.. 15 days of sucking sand left WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and I was complaining about cam chain tentioners. I might have to pull the '92 evo out of retirement

Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Used to happen to me on my 09 Classic. Started at 15K miles. I could pull over, shut it down for 10 seconds, and then fire it back up, no problem. Might go a week without doing it again, or it might go 3 miles & do it again. Dealer finally figured out that it was corrosion at the end of a harness, beneath the fairing. They fixed it under warranty. It never happened again. Rode it until I had 29K miles, and traded for a 2011 Ultra Limited. I have 22K on it & it's never happened.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

happen to my 2011 two weeks ago in PA got it home which was an experience cleaned and greased the intake plug and cleared the codes.took it to the dealer last Monday for the never ending charging problem which i'm having told them what happen they concluded it was my ECM (the last part i guess they could change)i guess when you get Harley certified it only teaches you to check codes & change parts out till you find something close.the dealership as part changers not mechanic

Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I rode for about a year with Limp Mode. It would kick in once a month, then once a week and finally once or twice a day. It is a fail safe mode when the TBW sends out wrong signals to the ECM. Corrosion on the connectors is the #1 culprit. My repair was out of warranty at $300 when they replaced the throttle, wires and connectors.

If it goes limp, turn off the bike and count to 30. It resets and all should be happy. It is annoying, not fatal.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar6
This happened to my bike when it was still new also, they ended up replacing the connetors behind the air cleaner with the gold pins and a new throttle grip sensor. That fixed mine, too em a week to figure it out, they gave me a rental RG FREE, woohooo... Anyway, I have also read here in these hallowed pages to trace the wiring harness from that connector and loosen/cut the first zip tie you come across because it is putting pressure on that connector, that along with vibration is what is messing up the wires inside the harness, they guy said after he did that, no more limp mode because of this. One of the first things I do when I get back is to find that zip tie, get rid of it or loosen it, pull more slack in the harness. Mine has not had an issue since the gold pin fix but I wanna be proactive to keep it from happening again.. 15 days of sucking sand left WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!
Just curious pnycar. Back in Vietnam every boonie rat started a "short timers calendar" the day they hit country. Most were amusing but some were down right nasty. Do guys in the modern Army still do such things?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
gjetson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gjetson
Today while riding with the wife, 80 miles from home. We had just left Bloomington Harley, after the wife had bought so new HD clothing, anyway, I pull out of the parking lot, drove about 100 yards to the main road, light turns green, no power, bike was in limp mode.

I was able to drive down HGY 46 about another 100 yards and limped back to the dealer. They took it in with no questions ask and did some dianostic work, came back with the erroe code P2101. TCA motor circut actuator error. What the heck! The tech on duty cleared the codes took the bike for a ride and could not duplicate it, but he did see the bike when I came in with it. He said that the book tells him to replace the ECM unit.

It's a 2013 ultra limited so I would have the shop do the wrenching, so that I keep the warrenty intact, about 2 weeks before they can get to it. I have a trip planned to indy next week for the red Bull motor cycle races at the indy 500 track.

I was hopping to get to take my bike to Meridian street for all the partying that goes on there, they close the whole street down to nothing but bikes for a couple of days. Anyway the tech said it might happen again might not. I am also going to NC, in late Sep to take in all the good riding out that way. So I really don't want to crap out 400 miles from home.

Anyone have anything like them happen, and any idea on how to fix it? Or I wait for two weeks to get it into the shop, and hope that what they say it is, actually fixes it. Thanks.
I spoke to my dealer about my bike going into limp mode, I give him the codes that I have, P1511 and P2101. I ask him about bringing it in to be looked at, and hopefully repaired.

He say's well we can look at it, but I would really want you to duplicate the issue that you had so that we can have a look at it. So I ask him if he wants me to wait until it happens again, and call him when it happens so that they can verify it, and he says yes. even thought the codes are still showing in my history.

he did say that they had some issues in the past but they have been fixed, partly by replacing the connectors with solid silver pin's and sometimes the ECM needs to have updated software, My bikes an 2013, I would think that should have the latest and the greatest.

I spoke to another dealer and they said that some people drop their bikes off for a week or two and have one of the mechanics take it back and forth to work to see if they can duplicate it. Right, that isn't going to happen.

So what they really want to do is let you ride it and every time it happens, they just keep replacing componets until it stops doing it. I really don't think they care a hoot about the inconveince it is to the owner, and the time it takes away from us doing what we like to do. Anyway thats my rant.