Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013 | 06:10 AM
x1rider
|
Tourer
Default Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)

I wanted more storage space on my StreetGlide but I needed something I could take off easily since it's for occasional use only (and I didn't want to spend a lot of money).
I got a tourpack from eBay, 80 bucks, painted vivid black, all hardware and a top rack included. Of course I didn't expect much but I was surprised, the paint was good and is actually a good match. The mounting hardware was crap but I was going to fabricate my own anyway. I'm sure the quality doesn't match a genuine Harley pack but like I mentioned it's for occasional use only.
So I used some 3/16" stainless steel I had left from a previous project, fired up the TIG and fabricated 2 mounting brackets. Looks simple but a lot of time was spent making the mounting rack level, centered, with proper spacing from the fender and the seat (the kit included a backrest), and including a semi-quick detach system.

I had to design a system for fender hardware so I could easily take the pack on and off, all I need is a 1/2" open wrench. Again a lot of time was spent making this all fit between my fender overlay and extended saddlebags. I followed the advice from some members on this forum and used a dremel to gain access to a fender bolt hole to fit my hardware.

The hardware is all neatly tucked between the overlay and saddlebags.

And the finished product looks like this.

I ordered some stainless steel hardware from alloyboltz and will replace all the hardware with stainless steel, and I'll do a black oxide coating on it to make it all less visible.
I also need to fire up the powdercoating oven and do a gloss black powdercoat on the mounting brackets and the top rack.

If I eventually find that the tourpack is not up to par, I can still keep the mounting system and replace the pack.

Old 08-11-2013 | 06:21 AM
mainboom150
Road Master

pretty cool what is that 1/4 inch steel? I don't see that breaking anytime soon. getting much vibration out of it? I would think the backrest would get in the way of your arms

Old 08-11-2013 | 06:24 AM
x1rider
|
Tourer

It's 3/16" stainless steel, I used 2" and 1-1/2" flat bars. I was very generous with the TIG, there is not a lap joint that isn't welded all the way, all with stainless steel filler rod.
I haven't ridden with it yet, I just finished this morning and I have to wait for my alloyboltz order to come in to finalize the mounting hardware part.

Old 08-11-2013 | 07:57 AM
mainboom150
Road Master

so you making a quick detach deal for that or will it be bolted in? didn't see any latch hooks to hold it in place or anything.

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:00 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

You should make up a couple of them and sell them to the members here who do not want to pay the moco prices?

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:01 AM
x1rider
|
Tourer

It's semi quick detach, I slotted the bottom bracket but it will be pinched on the mounting hardware with a nut. I'll try with a wingnut bit if it doesn't work, all I'll need to install/remove it is a 1/2" open wrench.

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:15 AM
glide2005
Supporter

Very nice work x1rider. I did a similar job on my Classic. Cut the tour pak bracket up and rewelded back together to make the TP a back rest. The arm rest do not get in the way, they're kinda handy while waiting on a long red light.

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:20 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain

Pretty cool. I think the 3/16 is going to be plenty strong. You could also shape some of the hard corners and cut a design into the parts you do see and still be ok on strength. But then again, black it out and you won't even notice it. Nice work.

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:23 AM
cass
Road Warrior

very nicely done. i'll bet "occasional"use becomes more frequent after using it awhile. i wouldn't tale mine off, i've come to like it too much. i agree, if it works out, you might have a market here.......

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:28 AM
x1rider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Big Boz
Pretty cool. I think the 3/16 is going to be plenty strong. You could also shape some of the hard corners and cut a design into the parts you do see and still be ok on strength. But then again, black it out and you won't even notice it. Nice work.
I intended to round the corners but I was too much in a hurry to see if it would work at all. I did the drilling and slotting with the pieces from each side tack welded together so they would be perfectly symmetrical. I seperated them before I rounded the corners. The bracket is pretty close to the fender and once I powdercoat it black it will be hardly visible.

Quick Reply: Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)