Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013 | 03:04 PM
x1rider
|
Tourer

I fired up the plasma cutter and trimmed the corners on the brackets to smooth them out and I welded a rod as a cross brace between the 2 brackets.
I sandblasted and cleaned the brackets and the luggage rack to prepare them for powdercoating.

Fired up my home made oven.

I did a gloss black, which matches the frame finish fairly well.

I'm just waiting on a stainless steel hardware order from Alloyboltz to come in to finalize this project. I'll do a black oxide finish on the hardware as well so it will not be too visible.

Old 08-16-2013 | 03:35 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Clever...and good lookin'

Old 08-16-2013 | 03:43 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Very nice job on the mount..Nice weld job and powder coat!!
If you are happy with it thats all that matters..

Old 08-16-2013 | 07:56 PM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fwb35
I have the same pack on my bike, bought it earlier this summer, took a trip to Mississippi with the wife, it worked great, she liked the wrap around back rest, I used the supplied hardware, took the back rest off and mounted it to my luggage rack, took a little over one hour, was really worth the $80 it cost, plus free shipping, found it on Amazon, since then 3 of my friends now have them on their bikes.
How did you mount it to the luggage rack. I would like to try something like that on my bike for trips.

Old 08-25-2013 | 09:48 AM
x1rider
|
Tourer

Finally finished my project. I did a black oxide finish on the stainless steel hardware, that didn't work so well, I may powdercoat the non-threaded parts this winter.
Here is all that shows between the fender and saddlebag.

And a few pictures of the finished product, I'm fairly happy with the results, the powdercoated brackets and luggage rack blend well with the rest of the bike.
Appears pretty solid, I sat on the tourpack platform and it didn't flex or move at all.

Old 08-25-2013 | 10:56 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

Very nice! Looks better than factory!

Old 08-25-2013 | 11:18 AM
Shayba
Cruiser

Sweet set-up. Good work!

Old 01-21-2014 | 12:26 AM
BlueBlood1568
Advanced

Having your own powder coating oven is awesome! Very clever, and it looks like a time machine!

Two questions:

1.) Do you have any pictures of the flux capacitor?
2.) How do you get it up to 88 mph?

Well done on this whole project. The best part is you can tell the stealership to suck it! BAM!

Old 01-21-2014 | 01:12 AM
Recycled
Road Captain

Beautiful work!

Those cheap trunks are great! I installed one and modified a mount last year that serves the purpose, but it isn't as pretty as yours. Mine was set up for a passenger. Its planned use is only for a few weeks every year. I used a hand me down rack with quick detache hardware and modified it to fit my custom rear setup. Had to widen and raise it up. I was in a hurry, getting ready for a trip and didn't sweat the cosmetics but you have given me some additional inspiration and the urge to make it pretty as well.
Beautiful bike, thanks for showing us your install!

Attached Thumbnails Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)-tour-pak-install-003.jpg   Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)-tour-pak-install.jpg  

Last edited by Recycled; 01-21-2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-21-2014 | 02:51 AM
Smokengun
Tourer

Those cheap trunks are good as others have said before. I have that exact one on mine and so far I've been to TN (Tail of the Dragon) and back to Chicago. And went around big ole Lake Superior through Canada and back with no problems.

Quick Reply: Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)