Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013 | 07:32 AM
oricko
Tourer

Looks good

Old 08-16-2013 | 07:44 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

I like it!
Good job.

Old 08-16-2013 | 07:54 AM
elecwiz1
Tourer

And I didn't want to spend a lot of money. . . .he says. Haha, we can see your bike, you like spending money.

You just wanted to make something cool and you did. Looks like a good job.

Old 08-16-2013 | 07:59 AM
x1rider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by elecwiz1
And I didn't want to spend a lot of money. . . .he says. Haha, we can see your bike, you like spending money.

You just wanted to make something cool and you did. Looks like a good job.
Haha, I should have specified "I didn't want to spend a lot of money ON THE TOURPACK"!
Actually I spent less money than you think, I did all the powdercoating myself in a home oven I rigged up, saved a ton of money there. I do all the work myself as well, which right there is a great deal of cash.
That bike has never seen the inside of a dealership except for the rear brake light switch recall (and that's because they didn't want to give me the part so I could do it myself).

Old 08-16-2013 | 08:27 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

I have the same pack on my bike, bought it earlier this summer, took a trip to Mississippi with the wife, it worked great, she liked the wrap around back rest, I used the supplied hardware, took the back rest off and mounted it to my luggage rack, took a little over one hour, was really worth the $80 it cost, plus free shipping, found it on Amazon, since then 3 of my friends now have them on their bikes.

Old 08-16-2013 | 08:29 AM
x1rider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by fwb35
I have the same pack on my bike, bought it earlier this summer, took a trip to Mississippi with the wife, it worked great, she liked the wrap around back rest, I used the supplied hardware, took the back rest off and mounted it to my luggage rack, took a little over one hour, was really worth the $80 it cost, plus free shipping, found it on Amazon, since then 3 of my friends now have them on their bikes.
That's great to know, I haven't tried it yet and was a bit worried. No reliability issues at all? Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-16-2013 | 08:39 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by x1rider
That's great to know, I haven't tried it yet and was a bit worried. No reliability issues at all? Thanks for the feedback!
Only issues I had was on our trip, I had a soft pack on top with to much weight in it, I repacked to reduce the weight and it was fine, only other thing is if you don't keep the latch locked it would un hook itself, I can also hear it rattlesometime when stopped at idle. For $80 delivered it is a great pack for trips, I have it mounted on a removeable luggage rack, pop it off and on when needed.

Attached Thumbnails Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)-tour-pack.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013 | 09:10 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks good. I've seen these on amazon and thought about getting one for trips

Old 08-16-2013 | 09:21 AM
Delzore
Cruiser

I had one of these years ago on my sporty.. lasted a number of years and did alright, though I had to order new latches from them a couple of times.. found a similar deal for a black one that i bought and put on the road king.. this time around, the overall quality had dropped, thinner materials, not as sturdy.. and that same stupid latch.. for occasional use they are ok, but if it becomes a permanent member on your bike, going to have to do something about the latches... I moved up to a king tourpak and am quite happy.. much better quality, two latches instead of one, matching keys to my hardbags and ignition, etc etc.. BTW your setup looks GREAT.. good job!

Old 08-16-2013 | 09:25 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

I had one on my VTX. The rattle can be solved with some 1/4 inch round but slit weather stripping. The plastic hinge broke on mine but I was able to grind it all off and install some small piano hinges. Was working great until I totaled the bike. The pak didn't fare too good. Maybe I got the cheaper one. You may not have plastic hinges.

Last edited by hogcowboy; 08-16-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheap tourpack project (lots of pics)