Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pushrod Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Girthstick
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Pushrod Question

My (new to me) 96 Electra Glide has really terrible valve/pushrod/rocker arm clatter and upon checking out the pushrods I found that they're the original equipment rod with no adjustment.
At 52,000 mile I guess I shouldn't be suprised..LOL...Makes a lot of what sounds like "rattling" when I back of the gas. If you've had it you know how it can just bug the hell out you, especially with the fairing pushing all engine noise up to you (Which is good and bad).
My question is I know I can remove the old pushrods with out removing the tappet covers if I cut them out and install the new adjustables but should I also put in new lifters at the same time?
Also would it make more sense to buy new gaskets and remove the covers to inspect the rocker arms? Just trying to get a feel for what I may be getting into.
On the plus side, it runs great now with all kinds of pull (I thing in part to rebuilding the Mikuni carb). I'm in Michigan so when the snow flies I'm going to undertake this project along with my front left fork seal is leaking oil and won't hold air anymore so I need to rebuild both sides of those.
Thanks of any input..You guys have a lot of good experienced knowledge.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the EVO motors it was common to put in adjustable p-rods to reduce the valve train noise. Seeing that the lifter rollers are mated to the camshaft, I wouldnt put in new lifters unless I changed the cam.

But as it often happens, replacing one part of the motor can lead to a complete top end rebuild...bigger pistons, head work, camshaft, etc. I know its happened to me !

Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

When you say 96 do you mean year model or engine size. If it is a 96 year model it would be the EVO engine which has some different metrics than the Twin Cam. It has been a long time since I worked on an EVO so I would have to do some research in order to give you an answer.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Welcome to HDF from the UK. While you're investigating this, pop over to the Evo section, if your bike is a 1996, where you will find plenty of other Evo owners, who talk the language you need to hear!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:35 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Girthstick
My (new to me) 96 Electra Glide has really terrible valve/pushrod/rocker arm clatter and upon checking out the pushrods I found that they're the original equipment rod with no adjustment.
At 52,000 mile I guess I shouldn't be suprised..LOL...Makes a lot of what sounds like "rattling" when I back of the gas. If you've had it you know how it can just bug the hell out you, especially with the fairing pushing all engine noise up to you (Which is good and bad).
My question is I know I can remove the old pushrods with out removing the tappet covers if I cut them out and install the new adjustables but should I also put in new lifters at the same time?
Also would it make more sense to buy new gaskets and remove the covers to inspect the rocker arms? Just trying to get a feel for what I may be getting into.
On the plus side, it runs great now with all kinds of pull (I thing in part to rebuilding the Mikuni carb). I'm in Michigan so when the snow flies I'm going to undertake this project along with my front left fork seal is leaking oil and won't hold air anymore so I need to rebuild both sides of those.
Thanks of any input..You guys have a lot of good experienced knowledge.
If you got 52,000 miles out of the original lifters you are very lucky. Evos were known to have issues with lifters and cam bearings.

If I were you I would consider replacing the entire set of lifters with good aftermarket replacements. If you are already considering adjustable pushrods, it will make the job easy.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:05 PM
drifterawh
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifters is the problem to begin with..

Old 12-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by drifterawh
Lifters is the problem to begin with..
Well 8 years on I'm guessing he figured it out.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:14 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 959 Posts

WTF.??? Ya'll mother fers got me looking at a 8 year old thread. And we still don't know what happened to Girthstick. WTF kind of handle is that?

Old 12-06-2021, 09:17 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,320 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Girthstick. WTF kind of handle is that?
Better than Chode!