Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile Service - take my own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 AM
rabell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 Mile Service - take my own oil?

I'm coming up on my 1000 mile service for my '13 RGU. I'd like HD to do the first service, but I'd also prefer to use Redline synthetics for everything. Anyone have any luck providing their own oils to HD for this service? I plan on calling the dealer, but was curious to know if anyone has had success taking their own lubricants to the dealer for service.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
ken6217
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Why wouldn't they do it. They don't care. I've always done it. As a matter of fact I am doing the same thing that you are. My service is next week and I am bringing Redline oil, primary, and tranny oil. I tld them and they know.
Ken

Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

See if they would deduct the price of the oil change from the 1K service charge and do it yourself. Keep your receipts

Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer has np doing it and they deduct the cost of oil from the service. Since I use Mobil 1 V-Twin I much rather buy it from O'Riellys for $8/qt vs dealer's $14/qt

Rax

Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand why you would want to have the dealer do the initial services - somewhere down the path you will find most of the services are almost as easy as putting gas in the tank- plus you know it will be done to your satisfaction!

Nice bike. Enjoy the ride.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM
rabell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped by the dealership while I was out today and asked the service guy about bringing my own synthetics. He said it was not a problem, and they would deduct their lube cost from the service. I'll eventually do my own, but i wanted this first service done at the dealer.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rabell
Stopped by the dealership while I was out today and asked the service guy about bringing my own synthetics. He said it was not a problem, and they would deduct their lube cost from the service. I'll eventually do my own, but i wanted this first service done at the dealer.

Thanks for the replies!
Make sure you inspect your bike with a fine tooth comb before leaving the dealership. Their know to scratch paint & chrome during those expensive services.....The large sign in the service departments with the picture of the Ultra on it and ALL of the things they are "supposed" to check during said services looks good but if you think they do all that, your sadly mistaken...Just my 2 cents....

Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Make sure you inspect your bike with a fine tooth comb before leaving the dealership. Their know to scratch paint & chrome during those expensive services.....The large sign in the service departments with the picture of the Ultra on it and ALL of the things they are "supposed" to check during said services looks good but if you think they do all that, your sadly mistaken...Just my 2 cents....
Yup I've proven it over and over.....sadly mistaken sums it all up.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my own fluids and they knocked off the price of them.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah fine, FINE tooth comb.
Remember to them it's just another bike to YOU it's your bike.

Quick Reply: 1000 Mile Service - take my own oil?