Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a trick to removing the rear caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 AM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there a trick to removing the rear caliper?

HI All,
I want to replace my rear brake pads so I removed the caliper mounting bolts but could not get the caliper off. It hits the wheel. I have the factory smooth spoke wheels. Any tips? It should come off but I can't seem to get it. Bike is a 2012 Road King Classic.
Thanks,
J.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Good question as I'm close to putting new rear pads on my scoot.

Subscribed

Old 08-10-2013, 08:58 AM
ShadowMonster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't believe you need to pull caliper, least not on my RG, procedure is in manual, release caliper pins and you can slide old pads out and new pads in...... awkward spot to work but it is that easy, least it was for me.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to remove the caliper...As stated above just remove the holding pins for the brake pads and slide the old pads out and the new ones in...Of course you have to compress the piston in order to get the new ones in.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
ShadowMonster
Tourer

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
No need to remove the caliper...As stated above just remove the holding pins for the brake pads and slide the old pads out and the new ones in...Of course you have to compress the piston in order to get the new ones in.
Complete procedure is in manual, I didn't want to list what I did in case I missed something, and his pads fell out on da highway

Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Twist/rock the caliper back and forth a little with some force the pads/pistons will retract some and it'll come out. I take calipers off and clean up good. Here's good Brembo brake maintenance link download for 08 to present bikes.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/Download10.html

Last edited by acchd; 08-10-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by ShadowMonster
Don't believe you need to pull caliper, least not on my RG, procedure is in manual, release caliper pins and you can slide old pads out and new pads in...... awkward spot to work but it is that easy, least it was for me.
Not sure what bike you guys are talking about, but for my 12 UC, on page 1-37 the manual states that the caliper be removed to replace the rear pads. Now with the understanding that I'm not a wrench, and could be reading it wrong, or that there might be a better way than the official way, do I really need to remove the caliper? Also, the manual says that I need to remove the master cylinder cover when you press the pistons in. My VTX1800 the manual said the same thing, but it wasn't really necessary. I suppose that as the brake pad wears, the level in the master cylinder drops and all you're doing is pushing the level back up. Is this correct?

Thanks

David

Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM
threeten
Tourer

Originally Posted by acchd
Twist/rock the caliper back and forth a little with some force the pads/pistons will retract some and it'll come out.
This worked for me. I thought the caliper would never come off, but once the pads retracted and I got it in the right place, it popped right off.

My manual also says to remove the caliper - it was a good opportunity to clean it while I had it off.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will come off — just move it around & wriggle until it finds its ‘happy place’. Like others indicated no need to take it off but I always do in order to completely service the caliper.

There is a good ‘how to’ on Lyndall’s website www.lyndallbrakes.com/service-tech/

Old 08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
seehogs
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Part of the procedure is to spread the pads with a putty knife
or something thin before trying to slide it past disc.

Quick Reply: Is there a trick to removing the rear caliper?