Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a trick to removing the rear caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by seehogs
Part of the procedure is to spread the pads with a putty knife
or something thin before trying to slide it past disc.
Yep. It's a different procedure for the Brembo's (take it off) than the older style calipers (pull the pins).

Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seehogs
Part of the procedure is to spread the pads with a putty knife
or something thin before trying to slide it past disc.
Yep, this is the key.

Replaced my pads last year and had a hell of a time getting the caliper off until I spread them a little bit. I thought I was losing my mind because they absolutely would not come off.

Give it a shot and I am betting you will have better results.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BeavisRules
Yep, this is the key.

Replaced my pads last year and had a hell of a time getting the caliper off until I spread them a little bit. I thought I was losing my mind because they absolutely would not come off. .
I have replaced my pads twice. Until you push the pistons in a bit, it's tough to get the caliber out to remove the pads. Btw don't forget the anti squeal.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Earlier in the thread, a couple of posters were describing the procedure for the 07 and older bikes, where you do not have to remove the caliper to swap pads. Many guys do, anyway, which involves removing the rear wheel in order to dismount the caliper.

Beginning in 08, the operation is much, much simpler. Just pull the caliper body off the mount, and swap out the pads. You don't need to insert a putty knife, just grab the caliper body and rock it back and forth a little. You need to push in the pistons just a little, to retract the brake pads so they will slide past the lip on the outer edge of the rotor. Easy peasy.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
Also, the manual says that I need to remove the master cylinder cover when you press the pistons in. My VTX1800 the manual said the same thing, but it wasn't really necessary. I suppose that as the brake pad wears, the level in the master cylinder drops and all you're doing is pushing the level back up. Is this correct?

Thanks

David
The part about removing the master cylinder cap applies to those who add fluid to the system as the pads wear and the level lowers in the master cylinder. My bike had close to 17,000 miles on it when I replaced the rears for the first time. Since I had not added any fluid I didn't remove the cap until after I had installed the new pads and pumped the pedal to set the caliper pistons where they belong. Checked fluid level after completing the install and it was right where it should have been, no fluid needed.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:27 PM
OU812
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bookmark....................

Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As suggested pushing the cylinders back in the bore yields just enough room to get the caliper off. I didn't have anti squeal so I assembled without it. Everything works good and no squealing............yet

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is anti-squeal? Does it have another name? Is it at the HD dealership? What do you put it on? HELP!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Noble Jim
What is anti-squeal? Does it have another name? Is it at the HD dealership? What do you put it on? HELP!
Anti squeak spray or liquid is available at any auto part store but not sure if bike needs it though.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
Twist/rock the caliper back and forth a little with some force the pads/pistons will retract some and it'll come out. I take calipers off and clean up good. Here'sgood Brembo maintenance link download.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/Download10.html
Ditto this from acchd.

Quick Reply: Is there a trick to removing the rear caliper?