Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question: warped rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013 | 01:12 PM
PMC
Advanced

Just got the call, the rotors were covered under my extended warranty on my 2011 Limited. Great service as I've always gotten from the dealer I frequent.

Old 08-20-2013 | 05:00 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
warped rotors can be caused by the rider over heating them...such as long downhill stretches with brakes partly applied ( this is the time to downshift, let the motor do the braking...this keep sthe brakes available should a deer wander out in front or other hazard).

another cause is keeping hot pads applied to the rotors after the bike is stopped. ( if on a slope, let the brakes loose and the bike roll a bit, then reapply...etc)

a pad which does not easily shed heat, will make this worse, such as an organic.

if trying a warranty claim, I'd expect they'd look for signs of rider induced overheating on the rotor, pads, axle grease, bearings and the fluid. and if all that is good then maybe they'd honor the claim

I was working on my truck yesterday...12 years old, 156,000 miles and the factory ceramic brake pads still have plenty of meat...unbelievable.

Mike
Mike, you always give good advice and have insightful commentary. But I do question the "hot pads applied to the rotors after stop" theory. We have not had many instances of warped rotors on our police bikes, and there are plenty of times hot pads are applied to rotors (along with every other form of mechanical abuse you could think of). This theory has the feel of an urban legend.

That being said, the front rotors on my '12 FLTRU warped at less than 2000 miles. I know that it wasn't my riding technique, since I've never had rotor problems before, and I downshift on long downgrades. I suspect that when my new HD Airstrike wheels were mounted at the 1K service the service department overtorqued the bolts (they did on several other components, damaging the bike).

My rotors were replaced under warranty (At a different dealer, BTW!).

Last edited by PghCycle24; 08-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2013 | 09:56 AM
Elqueso2
Cruiser

Great post here guys! I was searching for Harley warped rotors and this post has good info. I have a 2012 with the Harley floating rotors (installed upon delivery) and they have to be warped. I get a shudder at high speeds and low when the front brake is applied. When I’m going slowly, I’ll get a “slamming” sound when the brake is applied. I use my front a lot and stop with it more so than the rear. I am guilty of holding it at signals while still in gear and I also feather the front to scrub off speed diving into turns.
I know they are still in warranty and need to call the dealer today. My electronic dipstick took a dump too  Funny, I have over 50K (80K total) on my 2002 Roadking Classic with the same rotors and haven’t had any issues at all with them or the pads. Those anti-lock brakes must really heat them rotors up

Old 10-01-2013 | 10:41 AM
HDogg
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
warped rotors can be caused by the rider over heating them...such as long downhill stretches with brakes partly applied ( this is the time to downshift, let the motor do the braking...this keep sthe brakes available should a deer wander out in front or other hazard).

another cause is keeping hot pads applied to the rotors after the bike is stopped. ( if on a slope, let the brakes loose and the bike roll a bit, then reapply...etc)

a pad which does not easily shed heat, will make this worse, such as an organic.

if trying a warranty claim, I'd expect they'd look for signs of rider induced overheating on the rotor, pads, axle grease, bearings and the fluid. and if all that is good then maybe they'd honor the claim

I was working on my truck yesterday...12 years old, 156,000 miles and the factory ceramic brake pads still have plenty of meat...unbelievable.

Mike
It would be interesting to see them try this on me

Old 10-01-2013 | 12:05 PM
rlatham
3rd Gear

Had rotors replaced on 2012 limited at 10,000 miles under warranty.

Old 10-01-2013 | 12:14 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

My dealership is replacing them daily under warranty. I am one of six I know of that never thought I had a problem. We carried our bikes in for service and PRESTO you have warped rotors and they will be replaced under warranty. Of course the warranty was still in effect.

We were beginning to believe the dealer had figured out a way to increase service work. I asked why I was not experiencing anything to lead me to believe there was a problem. The service writer said his techs are trained to identify the problem and they felt it right as you come to a complete stop.

Good luck with your problem.

Old 10-01-2013 | 12:22 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member

My fronts have been replaced twice under warranty

Old 10-17-2013 | 02:43 PM
Elqueso2
Cruiser

My front floating rotors are warped on my 2012 Limited and shutter when trying to slow down. Took it to the dealer under warranty and they said although they are warped, they are not warped enough. The run out on both rotors is .005 and Harley won't change them out till it hits .008 on both rotors....guess who will be going down the freeway holding the front break for a while....LOL The tech that test rode it said it was bad, but his hands are tied.

I have the same exact rotors on my 02 Roadking with over 50K on them without any problems. Are the anti-lock calipers introducing that much more heat to warp them?

Old 10-17-2013 | 02:55 PM
keith t
Tourer

My local dealer said they hadn't been doing warped rotor replacements after I asked them having read here HD would. So I called HD and they said the .008 runout was part of the equation and the disc has to be a certain thickness - sorry I don't remember the measurement. After two sets of stockers, the original I replaced and the second set they replaced, I went with the HD floaters. It was just last summer but so far so good. I do a fair amount of around town (under 50 mph) and just as much or more on the highway and I think grabbing a handful of brakes running up on some sight seeing dumb-a$$ when your'e chipping along at about 80 can put some heat on those rotors, maybe once is all it might take. Anyway so far so good with the floaties

Old 10-17-2013 | 03:48 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master

I had to have rotors replaced on my 2012 limited at 17,000 miles. ONe was warped more than .008 and dealer wouldn't warranty. They said some outside force must have damaged the rotor. I elected to replace both rotors and pads and start over. So far so good.

Quick Reply: Warranty question: warped rotors?