Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting more power from my 88ci. Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 AM
kyldh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting more power from my 88ci. Tips?

I will start off my saying that I recently got my first Harley; a 2003 Electra Glide Standard. I've owned probably 6 different bikes over the years but all were different makes. My past 2 bikes, a Victory and a BMW, had way more low end torque than my Harley as I knew would be the case because I had ridden a couple other Harleys before buying mine. I still have to say that I already love the ride of the Harley way more than those other bikes, but I wish it had a little more power.

I've never tuned up a motorcycle before so I guess I'm looking for some beginner's tips to get a little bit more horse power out of my engine. Right now my bike is stock other than some Screamin' Eagle "performance" slip-ons. I'd like to squeeze as much performance out of it as I can.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good breathing Air Cleaner and aftermarket Cams such as Andrews 26 or 21s will really wake the bike up!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Old_Bikes
Club Member
Received 221 Likes on 144 Posts

I added a Vance & Hines Pro Pipe, a K&N air filter, and did some carb modification (Yost power tube, drilled out transfer port) and it woke the bike up pretty well. I imagine the addition of some mild cams would really help as well, but avoid going to radical or you will loose more of the low end power. Mine was a '02 Standard.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:17 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to need one of these.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by kyldh
.... I wish it had a little more power.

I'd like to squeeze as much performance out of it as I can.
All you need to do is open your wallet.......

Joking aside, you have asked much too open a question. You can supercharge it, chuck the stock engine away and install a custom-built whopper (155" enough?!), or do a countless number of other variations. In between 'a little more power' and 'as much performance as I can' is a gulf as big as the Grand Canyon.

You can add cams and a tuner, to give you a little extra performance, open it up to 95" for a little more, go even bigger in a number of ever more expensive increases, have your heads ported, longer stroke crankshaft, etc.

What style of riding are you going to be doing? Crossing Continents, or cruisin' cafes?! Give us some help, there's a good chap. And welcome to the wonderful World of Harleys.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First step in my opinion for a little more power, least expensive and better gas mileage would be a Stage 1.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM
kyldh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
All you need to do is open your wallet.......

What style of riding are you going to be doing? Crossing Continents, or cruisin' cafes?! Give us some help, there's a good chap. And welcome to the wonderful World of Harleys.
I guess to narrow down the topic a bit, I'm not looking to swap my engine. Taking it to 95ci isn't out the question, but for now I'll probably keep it at 88ci and try some of the other the other suggestions.

As far as riding style goes, it'll be pretty mixed. Sometimes I use it to commute to work (30 miles one way), sometimes just to cruise around with some friends, and in 2 weeks I'll be taking a 1500 mile trip around the east coast with my brother.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Best power to dollar modifications is Stage 2, A/C Tuner, exhaust and cams after that its more $ per hp.

If all you have is slip ons now , first step is to complete the Stage 1 add a high flow A/C and a tuner or if you are carbed rejet. If that isnt enough then do cams (stage 2), if that isnt enough add a 95 bb kit, if that isnt enough do the heads (stage3)

A Stage 2, 95ci has usable power for a touring bike a and will make 100/100 and run as long as a stock engine.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just do a stage 1, you'll be happy with the increase of performance..

Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have an 03, the classic model. I did the stage one, cams and tuner thing, and in my honest opinion there is not enough power advantage for the money I spent. if I had it all to do over again I would ride it and enjoy the ride and use the money for some nice trips.

Quick Reply: Getting more power from my 88ci. Tips?